• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a swish sound

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
i have a swishing like sound (that is the best way i can explain it) coming from under the drivers side towards the front.I notice it on the roll do not here it when stopped.and more at slow speeds do not notice it at freeway speeds..

The replacement (rebuilt) vacuum booster is about $110 at NAPA plus a refundable $35 core charge. That's for just the vacuum unit. You can also get a rebuilt unit that has the master cylinder attached for another $30 or $40 (as I remember). I just replaced mine...first time I had done this job...took me about two hours, including changing out the DOT 3 fluid and bleeding the brakes.

Rev Den said:
Sound like an axle u-joint to me.

Check them.....check the fron DS joints also...bet you find a worn one.

Rev

Sounds like a case of angry sparrows to me as well. I'd bet on the driveshaft ujoint at the diff.

Yup - if you can call it "angry sparrows" then it's the axle u-joint or centering ball in the CV part of the driveshaft.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Doesn't sound like brake booster. Brake booster should not depend on actual vehicle motion, but usually will change when you apply brake.

See if you can narrow it down, both in location and type of sound. Does it seem to be cyclical, or change consistently with speed? If so, consider rotating parts such as axle u-joints. Does anything you do while driving alter the sound? A sound that changes when cornering, for example, points to something like an axle or wheel bearing that changes under load. If it seems more just like a steady whistle or whooshing or whining noise that is not related to engine speed, consider air leaks. Windshield air leaks can cause a variety of sounds depending on where the air hits. Other sounds could come from leaky HVAC controls, or a leaky vac. line in the cruise control.

Ok this is what i got so fare i removed the front driveshaft and still have the same sound. I can describe the sound as a swish like sound almost like metalic pads on a rotor. the sounf will vary from o to maybe 30 mph but from ther on it does not get in louder turning doesn't matter and applying the brakes doesn't matter.It is very low sound i almost thought it might have been a air leak but do not think that is the issue any ideas would be appreciated.Oh it is a 99xj Thanks

Is it one continuous swish (swwwwwiiiiiiiiisssssssshhhhhhhhhhh) or is a bunch of swishes (swish, swish, swish)?

Jack the front up until the tire's off the ground and rotate the wheel. Do you hear it?

it seems to be continuos and when I jack the front up i think i here it but it is hard to tell i think I here normal brake drag noise..

Back