• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two-part question on adj. control arms

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
i bought 4.5" x-series kit from rough country, used a 2" coil spacer and 2" drop shackle so it's around 6.5" now complete lift. question is, my coil is tilted slightly towards the rear of the truck like this: ( \ ) but not that much just slightly.

First part of the question: is this normal or should i turn my upper/lower control arms out longer to make this coil spring straight?

Second Part: it was very hard getting them in as it is, should these arms bolt together pretty easily from the axle to the body or is it supposed to be a pain in the ass?

i can answer the second part from experience. it definitely took some force to get my lowers to line up..granted they're not adjustable, but still. people use ratchet straps to pull the axle so the arm reaches...or have someone push on the axle..but yeah, it's normal.

okay thats cool then im jsut worried now about the spring being at an angle like that. i'd like it all straight plus i bet im losing some lift amount by having it crooked, right?

6.5 inches and short arms???? thats just plain craziness.....

you better hurry up and get some drop brackets....yes, you want your springs straight up and down, but your caster and pinion angle are important too....

you need longer control arms, drop brackets or do long arms. i bet your ride is horrible also and your control arm angle is something like this.../.../

mine was like this at 4" and the ride sucked and clunked all the time. i built long arms and pushed the axle forward 3 inches and i havent looked back.

im at 6.5" of lift with short arms. get a set of adjustable uppers and lowers and there is no problems. mine rides as good as a 4.5" and flexxes alot better than his.
mike

Mopar It said:
i have adjustable upper and lowers i just dont know what to adjust them to thats all

do you know what caster and pinion angles are?

a rough estimate at that height would be to add 1" over stock to the upper and lowers.

yeah il do that once im swappin out my tranny ill get it all done. do not know what caster is do know what pinion angle is and mine's fine in the front i had a t-case drop so it's ok up there, the backs another story but im taking care of that soon

Mopar It said:
yeah il do that once im swappin out my tranny ill get it all done. do not know what caster is do know what pinion angle is and mine's fine in the front i had a t-case drop so it's ok up there, the backs another story but im taking care of that soon

what? in english please.

Actaully the above reply i posted seemed fine. Thing is i don't know what caster angle is, i do know what pinion angle is. my front pinion angle is fine. i just want my coils straighter.

Mopar It said:
i bought 4.5" x-series kit from rough country, used a 2" coil spacer and 2" drop shackle so it's around 6.5" now complete lift. question is, my coil is tilted slightly towards the rear of the truck like this: ( \ ) but not that much just slightly.

First part of the question: is this normal or should i turn my upper/lower control arms out longer to make this coil spring straight?

Second Part: it was very hard getting them in as it is, should these arms bolt together pretty easily from the axle to the body or is it supposed to be a pain in the ass?
well if your spring looks like this (\) and you want the spring more to the vertical, then push your axle forward a half inch and see if it makes the spring look better.
Dial out the lower control arms a half inch. but use an angle finder to measure caster, you will probably need to push out the uppers as well to get the caster/pinion angle back.

here are my measurements for the RC 6.5" lift kit which should work for you Lower Control Arm is 16.5in. Upper Control Arm is 15.5in. and my springs are sitting pretty straight

Back