• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air bag sensors/module ?'s

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching the forums about the "sensors" for air bags on a 99XJ. I bought one (a 99XJ) that was in a front end collision and have it all rebuilt now and I am wanting to put in new airbags. I have removed the module under the console and was wanting to make sure that it is the only module or sensor that needs to be replaced before I spent the money on bags just to have them deploy as soon as I hooked them up! I have read various threads that say this is the only module and I have also seen where people speak of a sensor in the front bumper area??? I have not seen any sensors up front, but again, this vehicle was missing the front clip when I received it from the salvage pool. Soooo..if anyone has a soild answer that is experienced with this, please let me know. As far as the search nazi's coming for the attack, I have searched and came up with the above mentioned conflicting information. Any help is greatly appreciated b/c I am wanting this rig to be as safe for the family as possible.

Thanks.

There is supposed to be front and rear air bag sensors. I am not 100% sure where they are at but I will check the FSM tonight when I get home to see if I can find them and let you know.

1997-2001 XJ's have one sensor, pass and driver airbags and a clockspring inside the steering wheel. The clockspring has two versions, curise control or non cruise control.

The sensor in either on the floor under the drivers seat or under the floor console. Early Xj's had a recall notice to move the sensor into the console to protect it from water and mud from the drivers feet.

The replacement procedure has one specific step so it would be best to have a FSM so you don't mess up your expensive repair parts.

Back