• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needs some quick tire size help.

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
Costco is having a great sale on BF G -at's
I had originally order 215-75-15
What the tard did not tell me was he knew 7 days ago when I ordered them that he could not get them, he "forgot to call me" and tell me until I showed up for my appointment to get them mounted. NOT!

Costco said BFG no longer supplies them with that size. :flamemad:

Tire guy said the 30 -91/2 -15 would work on my bone stock 1989 Laredo.
yes - no?

For my trouble he's knocking off another $25 off the $60 off 4 tires for me - but will hold the price untill Sunday 11-04-07

So will 30-9 1/2 -15LT work?

I'd go with 235/75/r15 if you could. The 30s would probably fit okay if you never go offroad, but if you flex at all you'll be rubbing on the fenders. I have 30s with 2" lift and don't rub except on the lcas at full lock because of the stock wheel backspacing.

I ran 30"x9.5"s on stock wheels and suspension, it did rub a little under flex, but nothing so bad that it was an issue. If you wheel the thing frequently, I'd look into a budget boost 2" lift to clear the tires.

235 | 75 | 15 = 29 | 9.25 | 15

No know issues with that size?
You see this is a basket case rebuild, I have it running to the point I trust it on road again.
When I towed it home it had 4 different tire sizes, largest being front left at 215 | 75 | 15LT all others are smaller and road oriented (can you say FUGLY?)

Doing a quick tape measure the wheel arch looks to be 29" from front (towards front bumper) to rear (front of front door) of the wheel openings. That's why I question the 30" tire.

Last edited:
Lift is coming, next year or maybe 2009. Planned 3.5 RE with 31's
Right now I need to fix everything and be sure it will work 100% stock, before I start throwing a lot of aftermarket goodies on it.

Thanks so far.

EDIT Costco guy said he could get the Michelin LTX MS in the 215 if I wanted it - and it would be cheaper... but it looks so damn Honda Pilot to me.... LOL I'm sure it's a good tire, but I need one to hold up to DD and weekend activity of sportsman's access roads and fire roads here in Southern Idaho.
The LTX MS looks a little weak to me for that.

Last edited:
Why not make this a run on post..... HA!

My two other viable options are the Kelly Safari Trex at $400 for all four with life time support from a local dealer.
trex_3qtr.jpg

And Walmart Uniroyal Liberator A/T ($280 for all four plus $60 mt bal etc) $340 total from a close but not local Walmart.
0008669980957_215X215.jpg

Or take my chances with Tirerack and go General Grabber AT2 or Firestone Destination A/T
This can be truly agonizing to the point of paralyzation if you think too hard on this stuff......

But I digress, The origonal question still stands. 30" on a stock 89 XJ?

GO WITH THEM. I can't believe how many thread I have commented in about "will 30's fit stock?" or "will 31's fit stock?". YES...grow a set and put them on!!! They will be fine. I am speaking from experience, not speaking from a tape measurer. (I hope that didn't come across as rude :laugh3:)

RTFM said:
235 | 75 | 15 = 29 | 9.25 | 15

No know issues with that size?
I have yet to hear of one. I am on my second set of BFG AT's in that size and have not had an issue once. no minimal rubbing, simply none. I also run disconnected with NO issues.

I look at it like this, no issues on the 235, minor issues (mostly) with the 30's. PLENTY of folks around here run 30's stock. the difference in height is minimal. personal preference. if you want some more reading and opinions, just check this thread out.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931220

W000T thanks guys.....
I'm off to Costco tonight - to try and re-order....

Back