• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery noise?

Oizarod115

NAXJA Forum User
battery hissing... help!?

working under the hood tonight (ignition on or off, doesn't matter.)
i noticed my battery is making a slight hissing noise... which gets me REALL ancy after hearing my toyota-tech teachers many first hand experiences with batteries blowing up from people doing dumb stuff and so on.

i know he said SOMETHING about batteries that are making noise like that but i can't remember what, does anyone know anything?

this is an optima red top, and it got the living HELL rattled out of it on the access trails to tellico this weekend (very bumpy 20mph rd)

TIA,
-nick

Last edited:
i did a google on hissing batteries and came up with some stuff...

seems like the general consensus (everything from RC plane batteries to car batteries) is that a hissing battery is trash or being cooked (overcharged)

i doubt my voltage regulator in the Alternator is going bad, the alt. is brand new like 5k ago.

also, optima's are sealed....so yeah, cant be good at all...i'd take it to AZ and let them dispose of it. any chance its still under warranty? dont they have like a 7 year warranty?

Back