• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimmed rear still rubs.

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
My rear tire hits the front of my wheel well opening and it's trimed like most. On a 4 door how much hassle is it to trim almost to the door. I haven't seen any trimed further and my rear axel already just touches the gas tank skid so I can't move it back. I'm almost as crappy a welder with my new mig as I was the stick but am willing to give it a hack. Has anybody done this or feel they know how to cut it and fix it right?

pb250r said:
Bumpstop it.
It's bumpstoped but I want to max the flex out more by removing some and I don't want to go higher.

So UBE's cant be used? Im kind of confused how you're already hitting the tank skid in the stock location.

Im running TNT's moved back 1" and it works pretty well.... now it rubs just a tad in the back and barely at all up front... It's just a pain w/ XJs..

If cutting or bump stopping is your only option.. go at it and try to fill the gap back w/ some sheet metal..

if our not already running wheel spacers with your 8.8 your gonna if ya dont wanna rub the gas skid

Stumpalump said:
Stump a bump
Anybody cut to the doors?

Yes. There's a nifty flap just behind the door in the front part of the well opening. Trim some stuff inside that and fold the flap over. Weld the pieces of sheet metal together and you'll have a nice, solid piece that butts right against the door when it's closed. I don't have inside pics, but you'll end up with about a 3/16" thick, layered door frame. Put your hand behind the edge (that you've probably already cut) and you'll feel what I'm talking about.

I'll try to shoot some pics when I get home later today.

ECKSJAY said:
Yes. There's a nifty flap just behind the door in the front part of the well opening. Trim some stuff inside that and fold the flap over. Weld the pieces of sheet metal together and you'll have a nice, solid piece that butts right against the door when it's closed. I don't have inside pics, but you'll end up with about a 3/16" thick, layered door frame. Put your hand behind the edge (that you've probably already cut) and you'll feel what I'm talking about.

I'll try to shoot some pics when I get home later today.
It's cool how we can e-rip each others heads off in the OT section but help each other out when we can. Thanks ECKSJAY I think it will be a great mod for extra flex.

Stumpalump said:
It's cool how we can e-rip each others heads off in the OT section but help each other out when we can. Thanks ECKSJAY I think it will be a great mod for extra flex.

Anything to help achieve extra compression. :D I like tech stuff, actually. ;)

Let me know if you wants pics of what was done on mine. It has a pretty cool stiffener that ties into the replacement rockers. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Anything to help achieve extra compression. :D I like tech stuff, actually. ;)

Let me know if you wants pics of what was done on mine. It has a pretty cool stiffener that ties into the replacement rockers. ;)
So am I on track to cut just the front or should I cut around the top while i'm cuttiing? I'll cut all that will help but of course I only want to cut what needs to go. I guess a picture would be cool if it's not much trouble. Thanks.

Last edited:
ROBZ95Xj said:
if our not already running wheel spacers with your 8.8 your gonna if ya dont wanna rub the gas skid

Could you please explain to me how running wheel spacers has anything to do with the gas tank skid?

Odd. I'm sliced out more then 4" in my rear, and only 1.5" on the door side. I got away with 2" long spacers under my bumpstops one the short Limited BUmp Stops. No Rubbing now.
Not even at full flex
Picture010.jpg

By rubbing on the skid, the 8.8 with a thick Ruffstuff cover is just touching paint with a DPG skid so I can't relocate the axel towards the rear. Seems like I allready did somthing to the filler skid. Maybe when I bobed the lower rear quarters I had to do somthing with it. When I'm done I don't want any cosmetic outer body sheetmetal limiting any axel movement and the first place that needs to go is by the doors. It's really just a big toy and playing around with different parts to increase it's capability is what it's all about.

Back