• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

38X12.50s on a LP44, and ford 8.8

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

ive have the 8.8 done now for a while. nothing special about it. 3:55 gears, and a lockrite. front is a d30, with an aussie, and 3:55 gears. now before the 8.8 i had the 27 spl chry 8.25 rear, and with 35s, and locked f/r, i never broke anything. so you can see im not very heavy footed.

ive began a waggy 44 front, and was planning on going to Yukon 5:13 gears, Yukon alloy shafts, TNT truss, and an aussie

so my question is, if i made 35s work on locked stock axles with no problems, would 38s be ok with these. im a mud, hill, trail guy. not many rocks around here:rof:

???? never know until you try...

As for the TNT truss on the Waggy 44.... I dont think it will work b/c it's made for a HP axle. I think you'd be just as well off building a bridge for it.

Everyone's going to tell you something different... you know, Im running a LP Waggy 44, 5.13's, aussie, and bone stock shafts and wheeled it w/ Bias 36" Iroks... I didnt baby it either... Never broke anything...

Now, after looking at the 37x12.5 Comp. Compound Maxxis Trepadors sitting in the garage and 17" beadlocks.... I think I can break it... No really I dont know I'm going to wheel it and see what happens..

about the TNT for only HP axles. for somereason they still havn't updated their webpage yet. theyve had LP trusses/conversion kits out for months now, you just have to call them. its the same price also. well sounds like im gonna try some 38s out. hopefully i can get ride of these 35s in the next couple weeks

UNCC...still tryin to sell the 3-link?

Just depends on your foot and terrain.

People were telling me I'll break all the time on 37" radials with:

HP d44 with .500 tubes
chevy knuckles
chromo shafts
CTMs
5.13s
OX locker
etc

I have a friend running the same axle (with a ARB) here with 39.5 IROKs and not had an issue. I am still going this route after "looking" at 609 setups, its gonna cost 2x as much. So I'd rather build two axles and have cash left.

in all honesty the biggest thing im worried about are the 5:13 gears. i know the pinion gets a little small at this point. and the shafts im going to run will be warrantied. i can do all the work on either axle other then the gears. so whatever breaks i can fix...other then some gears:yelclap:

wishihad1 said:
hey everybody

ive have the 8.8 done now for a while. nothing special about it. 3:55 gears, and a lockrite. front is a d30, with an aussie, and 3:55 gears. now before the 8.8 i had the 27 spl chry 8.25 rear, and with 35s, and locked f/r, i never broke anything. so you can see im not very heavy footed.

ive began a waggy 44 front, and was planning on going to Yukon 5:13 gears, Yukon alloy shafts, TNT truss, and an aussie

so my question is, if i made 35s work on locked stock axles with no problems, would 38s be ok with these. im a mud, hill, trail guy. not many rocks around here:rof:

Where did you find the 5.13:1 gearset for an 8.8 rear? I thought 4.88 was the max?

And 38" will be pushing it on 1/2 ton axles & stock shafts.... but hey? The Fall Guy used to jump his junk all the time so 44" Ground Hawgs and 10 bolts must be OK. :rolleyes:

ZachMan said:
Just depends on your foot and terrain.

People were telling me I'll break all the time on 37" radials with:

HP d44 with .500 tubes
chevy knuckles
chromo shafts
CTMs
5.13s
OX locker
etc

I have a friend running the same axle (with a ARB) here with 39.5 IROKs and not had an issue. I am still going this route after "looking" at 609 setups, its gonna cost 2x as much. So I'd rather build two axles and have cash left.

Opinions, Opinions, Opinins... what it all boils down to.. run it, break it, then go from there..

On another note if you truly want to be safe I would pick up a pair of 2.5 Ton Rockwells but wouldn't go w/ any tire over a 38 :confused1

woody said:
Where did you find the 5.13:1 gearset for an 8.8 rear? I thought 4.88 was the max?

And 38" will be pushing it on 1/2 ton axles & stock shafts.... but hey? The Fall Guy used to jump his junk all the time so 44" Ground Hawgs and 10 bolts must be OK. :rolleyes:

5.13s are everywhere I'd think. Know 3 or 4 people running them.

I know Yukon makes them.

uncc civilengineer said:
Opinions, Opinions, Opinins... what it all boils down to.. run it, break it, then go from there..

True and we know what those are like :laugh3:

wishihad1 said:
about the TNT for only HP axles. for somereason they still havn't updated their webpage yet. theyve had LP trusses/conversion kits out for months now, you just have to call them. its the same price also.

good to know!!!

I plan on running 37/38s with my waggy axle when I get it done. I am running a d44 rear from a XJ, so not sure about he 8.8. But with a light foot you should be good. I know many people running larger tires on a 44/60 combo. I know their HP, but a light foot with a LP should be ok.

man that combo will hold no promblem at all...:D..

my friend has 38s on his 8.8 and his 30...he blew the 30 last week...so he is going with the waggy 44.. :D..

39.5x16.5 15 PitBulls on built HP d44 / d60, yeah not exactly JV, but still:

misc511.jpg

Last edited:
woody said:

My Yukon book shows as low as 6.14's for the 8.8 (Standard Rotation). However, It does show 4.88's as the lowest for Reverse Rotation.

Hale

Back