• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the proper mixing proportions for acrylic clearcoat? On the can label the ratio is 2 to 1 for paint / hardener, but how much reducer for clear? I'm redoing the 'Light Pearlstone Pearlcoat' on my '96 Country, and I got the color coat on good. But, mixed in the same ratio, the clear wants to run. I need to wait for it to dry, sand out the runs, and try again. Any help is appreciated.

usually some clear coats doent require reducer. i only use reducer if it is extremely hot to help flow out a little better. sometimes if you use too much activator the clear will want to run, i dont know what kind of system you are using but you might want to double check the mix ratios and make sure you are mixing it right. i hate runs because i can never get them completly sanded out unless i use a da and reshoot. also 2:1 sounds a bit too much activator, you can try and step it up to 3:1.

what i use to do when i had problems with runs is do a tack coat. this means spray the clear coat on dry, not wet, kinda like a light-medium coat. you want to spray it on as even as possible also. now this will look kind of crappy, itll look kinda dull but thats ok. now if its kinda cool you might want to wait a while until putting on the second coat. this is where people usually get runs because they dont wait long enough. in a non heated booth i would wait about 15 minutes, touch an area that will not be seen or touch paper and if it feels wet then wait a little bit longer. if it feels kinda sticky then its ready to go. apply second coat in a medium heavy application, make sure you get it even. also try not to double coat, stick to the 50/50 rule. wait a little bit longer then put the final coat on about same thickness as second coat.

the use of tack coats kind of helps the second coat to stay in place. hope this helps

The clear I'm using is PPG Shopline, and right on the label is the 2:1 ratio. I used a 'fast' reducer, as it is cool here. Oddly enough, the clear is thicker than the color, and it seemed as though it needed more reducer to cut it. The paint is
8:3:1, 8 paint, 3 reducer, 1 hardener.

ppg always has weird paint mix ratios. clear is supposed to be thicker than base coat. honestly i would stick to dupont/nason. for small panels i would use nasons spot clear, it flashes pretty quick even in cool weather, also you can get different temps in activator. you dont need to reduce this. also you dont need to reduce your clear either, like i said i dont unless its warm outside. you might want to check the temp range on the activator, you might need a lower temp activator for it to kick faster. also its the activator that effects the clear hardning not reducer.

DUH- I got to call the shop, and the fellow there said the clear doesn't get thinned. I sanded out the goofs, shot on the clear, and it worked great. I need two more flares, going to Harry's tomorrow. I look for flares that were factory painted, as I've painted black ones, and it seems no matter what I do, the paint will ultimately come off. Make sense?

Back