• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery problem with wipers

Mechanic_Dave

NAXJA Forum User
I am having some problem with my wipers. I have done a search, came up with one idea, still not working. I just got my XJ a couple weeks ago and everything was working. Its a 1991 Laredo with pretty much everything. The wipers were working, then when it started raining today I thought I had a GM. I had no wipers. Kinda sucks. After cruising through 4 different shops, I finally found a fuse to try. Nothing. Jumped the fuse location nothing. Checked the motor, looks ok but I don't know what to look for aside from irregularities. Put it back together, realized I had no washer fluid either. Guessing its the switch then. Don't know how to get that out. Reading through old posts, I realize that I may have jarred the intermittent box when routing a XM attenna. Checked that 10 min ago, it was detached but I don't know if its from when I pulled it out from the dash or from before when I noticed it was out and pushed it back. I don't know if its a connected issue but I now have washer fluid, but still no wipers. I need wipers. What should I check?

Check the little box that is velcroed to your lower dash panel on the drivers side. Check to see if it's disconnected, it might also be the "little box". Also check/replace the silver breaker looking thing on the very bottom of your fuse box, it should have two prongs.

Well in my first message there, I did mention that I changed/checked/jumped the fuse and checked that box under the dash. I have no wipers as it stands right now. I turn the switch, I have nothing. I do however have spray.
Thanks

unplug the plugs from the intermittent box under the dash.
you'll notice that they're a male and female version, plug them together.
If the wipers work it's something in the box, or the connections on the box. My 87 is touchy about the intermittent stuff working.
By plugging them together you feed power straight from the wiper switch on the stalk to thw wipers, you will lose the windshield washer function and the park/intermittent features. if it works, go get yourself a new box, they're about $20 at the local parts place.

make sure that you're getting power from the stalk. It may be the switch.
I'd also check the motors grounds.
It's not often that the motor goes bad, so it's time to get out your meter and make sure it's getting the power it needs and has a good ground.

Found a motor at the yard for 14 bucks. Threw it in and it worked. I don't know how the motor went south so fast. But anyway, its fixed now.
Thanks

Back