• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many splines on a AX 15 transm.

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Need to know qty of splines on the input/output shaft on a AX 15 transmission fitted on a 97 mod..

(Have a XJ 97 4,0L and may buy a 94 mod. transmission)
Will this fit ?:eyes:

Oseberg said:
Need to know qty of splines on the input/output shaft on a AX 15 transmission fitted on a 97 mod..

(Have a XJ 97 4,0L and may buy a 94 mod. transmission)
Will this fit ?:eyes:

It should. As I recall, all AX-15 outputs (on Jeep vehicles) are 23-spline.

Oseberg said:
Does it matter if the quoted one is from a Wrangler?
Any difference in axle diameter ?

It should not. I think Jeep bought AX-15s directly from either Toyota or Aisin Drivetrain (who supplies to Toyota...) so you should be fine.

And, unless they used a non-standard spline pitch (which I highly doubt,) there should be no difference in the diameter of the output shaft, either.

Interesting......

What you are telling..........there are som Toyota suv's going out there with AX15 Transmissions identical to what I have in my XJ ?
If so, witch Toyota model are we talking about than ?

Wrangler trannies are the same, but the holes for the transfer case studs are clocked about 10 degrees furthur clockwise than XJ/MJ trannies. You may have clearance issues with the floorpan and the transfer case, but nothing that can't be fixed with a BFH and some gentle persuasion :)

Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Wrangler trannies are the same, but the holes for the transfer case studs are clocked about 10 degrees furthur clockwise than XJ/MJ trannies. You may have clearance issues with the floorpan and the transfer case, but nothing that can't be fixed with a BFH and some gentle persuasion :)

Jeff
I installed a np231 out of a '92 Wrangler into my '88 XJ sometime back, and there was no differences in the clocking.
I had to change the NP231's input shaft to a 21 spline unit to be compatable with my Peugeot's out put shaft; OSEBERG should be OK with his swap.

Oseberg said:
Interesting......

What you are telling..........there are som Toyota suv's going out there with AX15 Transmissions identical to what I have in my XJ ?

Yah - SUVs and pickup trucks. Maybe Nissan as well - I haven't started talking to Nissan or Aisin yet...

Oseberg said:
Interesting......

Not really. Yes, it is a "Toyota" transmission. The internal parts are similar. Dodge also used it. The AX-15 was built to Jeep specifications. From other makes, there are differences such as the shaft lengths. I would not consider it interchangeable.

Jeff in VA said:

Jeff

Or just swap transfer case adapters, and call it good. That should only take a few minutes...

5-90 said:
Or just swap transfer case adapters, and call it good. That should only take a few minutes...

From my recollection, pulling the xfer case adapter required pulling the shift tower and linkage, backup switch, draining fluid, etc. More like a 1/2-hour job. I think I'd rather use the BFH :).

Rumor has the Dodge Dakota had the AX-15 for a while and its bellhousing can be used to mate an AX-15 up to the GM 60* pattern on the 4-banger.

Back