• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline (humm) vibe? between 30 - 40 mph

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ, just lifted 4.5 inches with transfer case drop and 6 degree shims in the rear. I have a constant humming/ maybe a vibe between the speeds of 30 and 40 mph, I think it is coming from the rear. Could this be a ujoint? Or am I!!!1 trying to get around the slip yoke driveline issue with lifted cherokees? Thanks, Denton

the only thing thats gonna fix a vibe on a 98 at 4.5" is an SYE and drive shaft. You can use a front DS in the rear instead of buying a woodie or some aftermarket one. may need to be modified, cost me 175 to have mine lengthened and balanced. also www.performanceoffroadcenter.com has the cheapest sye i've seen. what they say is definately true, about 3" you can't avoid the SYE

a vibe & a hum are usually different I would say. A worn out ring & pinion will start howling when you drive, a driveshaft will develop a rumble much deeper than a rear would.

well mine developped something similar, but mine is stock I have a a loud hum & very little vibes at 30 then decreases at 40 but remains all the way till 90.
U- joints? mounts? ring & pinion ? what to look for ?

I have the EXACT same problem. It's a very low rumbling, and was very pronounced before I put the tcase drop on. After installing the tcase drop, it's almost gone away, but it's still there and noticeable (some days worse than others) from 30-40mph. Because of the change with the tcase drop added, i'm thinking it's u-joints.

Didn't want to go the SYE route, which is why I went with a 3" lift. Guess I need to buck up and do it.

same 30-40mph vibes on my 99 classic after my re 3.5" kit.

$180 for the sye kit
$20 for a front driveshaft from a 99 auto
and change for some new ujoints, and vibes are long gone.

It actually is also very prominant at highway speeds especially around 70mph, especially when I give it gas it gets very louder, when I let off it seems to go away somewhat.

Back