• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Shaft too short

outlawjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys this may seem like a stupid question, and yes I used the search and did not find anything, but has anyone with a long arm upgrade needed a new front driveshaft as well as a new rear shaft? After doing my TnT LA I tried to re-install my front shaft only to find out that it was too short by about 2 inches!:eek: Luckily I had a spare ZJ shaft in the garage that I had bought for my wife's ZJ but even that may be too short for trail riding. I was wondering if anyone else had that problem as well.

Ray

Mine was actually rather tight when I put mine on as well. It was stuck in place, so a little pulling and banging, it finally went together.

I seem to recall reading something about some stock shafts being longer then others. I cant remember what it is now, but it was something like aw4/231 was shorter then a ax15/242.

Sorry, I guess that didnt really answer your question, but might give you some leads.

Yeah mine is the AX-15 w/ 231. But I was wonderig if this was the same deal anyone else had. By the way since we are on it what is the extended length for the front shaft. Maybe mine is just stuck at one point and just needs a little persuasion to extend to it's full potential.

Ray

You probably have your axle pushed forward from the stock position. Unbolt the long arms and suck the axle back.
I installed the T&T arms on my XJ w/ the stock shaft w/ no problems. Since Ive streched it out to 102.5 in and I had to get new shafts made. The only down side w/ being this long is the tires rub in new areas.

I've got 7" of lift, and have my front axle pushed forward 1".

I'm still using my stock front driveshaft. Its all the way extended when I stuff the front end, but doesn't over extend.

cal said:
I've got 7" of lift, and have my front axle pushed forward 1".

I'm still using my stock front driveshaft. Its all the way extended when I stuff the front end, but doesn't over extend.

x2...mines at 8"(actual like 7.5"), with ax15, np231 and mines fine. I did have to beat it alittle to get it to extend how it should...it was stuck from being in the same position for so many years.

outlawjeep said:
Yeah mine is the AX-15 w/ 231. But I was wonderig if this was the same deal anyone else had. By the way since we are on it what is the extended length for the front shaft. Maybe mine is just stuck at one point and just needs a little persuasion to extend to it's full potential.

The extended length will be 3" longer than the collapsed length...

I did drop brackets and put 2 inch spacers, to get me about 6.5 inch. My driveshaft was about a half inch too short when I went to bolt it back up. I got a rebuilt one from a local shop, I'm pretty sure it was a ZJ shaft because it looked identical to my old one. It was nice to have a new one anyways because the slip joint was blown out and I finally realized where my highway vibration was coming from when I drove with it out.

Back