• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Muffler Replacement Question

sflier

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '94, 4.0 with the original exhaust system. The muffler has a couple of small holes in it but the down-pipe, cat and tailpipe are all still good (I believe they were stainless from the factory). My questions are:

1. How hard is it to pull the muffler out and replace it? I can cut the clamps with my dremel or angle grinder but how do I get the muffler off the cat and tailpipe without destroying either one?
2. Any recommendations for a stock replacement that will last (not looking for high-flow aftermarket, just stock style)? I've read that the Walkers rot in a couple of years.

Thanks

Just my .02. If your not looking for high flow and want it quiet, take it to Midas and get a lifetime warranty muffler put on.

not hard but you will most likely have to cut it off. I recently did it and used what i call the "bannana peel method" if hitting with a BFH doest work. So i cut a few slits where the muffler connects to the cat & when i can get a screwdriver in there I will start peeling back the metal till i can get it all to seperate from the cat.
You are definately gonna need a tailpiple expander to get it done, you can get them cheap or go borrow one from autozone. Most aftermarket mufflers are shorter than the stock unit so youll need to pick up a length of pipe for after the muffler probably about 6" or so.

How long a life you get out of a muffler really relies on your driving habits. Moisture is your enemy, short trips doesn't burn off condensation. IE rust. Long drive to and from work, they last alot longer. I have said it before, you get what ya pay for, so, drop some $ now on a good muffler or buy cheap & you can do it all over again in a year or so.

MrShaft696 said:
not hard but you will most likely have to cut it off. I recently did it and used what i call the "bannana peel method" if hitting with a BFH doest work. So i cut a few slits where the muffler connects to the cat & when i can get a screwdriver in there I will start peeling back the metal till i can get it all to seperate from the cat.
You are definately gonna need a tailpiple expander to get it done, you can get them cheap or go borrow one from autozone. Most aftermarket mufflers are shorter than the stock unit so youll need to pick up a length of pipe for after the muffler probably about 6" or so.

x2...good advice

I just replaced the muffler on my '97. The stock tailpipe was welded to the muffler. If you make a clean straight cut with a sawzall/hacksaw/cutoff wheel, you should be able to re-use the tailpipe. The replacement muffler I bought from Murray's came with a 2.25" ID outlet, which the stock tailpipe fit into. Clamp it all together with some copper rtv and you should be fine. If needed (and to regain some length - like someone mentioned, the replacement muffler was slightly shorter) you can also add in an addition length of pipe but mine fit fine even with the stock hanger locations.

Back