• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fast flash with led lights fix

99xjache

NAXJA Member #1289
I thought I would post up a cheap and easy fast/no flash fix for those running Led taillight boxes.

I looked for flashers all over the place and ahd a hard time finding one for less than $58. Finally searched ebay and found these for $25 shipped. It Is truly a quick fix and beats the hell out of trying to solder resistors in-line. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Dodge-Jeep-LED-turn-signal-flasher-hazard-relay-5P_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ018QQitemZ280012777535QQrdZ1
I installed it and everything works just like it used to. I think these are for 97+ but they sell flashers for the earlier models too. I hope this helps someone sometime.

Aaron

Good to know. Thanks Aaron.

Kyung

doesn't matter, just get an electronic flasher instead of a thermal flasher. I picked mine up for under 10 bucks at a local parts house. even walmart and some stores like that have them too. it's easy to tell if you have an electronic one or not, Usually the housings are clear and you can see inside and see the circuit board, they are laso alot heavier than the standard thermal flashers.

a quick google search netted the part number 232 by bussman, you should be able to interchange that number if your local parts house doesn't stock bussman.

Dingo

Electronic flashers should be easy to find - I can get Tridon EL12 (direct replacement for 552/536 two-prong units) all day long for about $10 locally.

You should find the flashers on the fuse panel underdash (above your left foot,) and there are usually two on XJ's. They're silver-ish cans about 1" across and 1" high - just pull them out and replace them, there are no "special retainers" or anything like that...

5-90

5-90 said:
Electronic flashers should be easy to find - I can get Tridon EL12 (direct replacement for 552/536 two-prong units) all day long for about $10 locally.

You should find the flashers on the fuse panel underdash (above your left foot,) and there are usually two on XJ's. They're silver-ish cans about 1" across and 1" high - just pull them out and replace them, there are no "special retainers" or anything like that...

5-90
thanks for the fast reply :)

i was just out there and didnt really see anything under there that would resemble what you just described. i have a 97 if that changes anything :dunno:

Damn ChryCo...

Apparently, they decided to use something that looks more like a Bosch relay, per my 1997 FSM...

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION - COMBINATION FLASHER
(from this, it seems that one unit serves both circuits...)

1) Disconnecct and isolate the battery negative terminal

2) Remove the steering column opening cover and the knee blocker as described in Group 8E - Instrument Panel Systems. (Getting these panels out is probably self-evident - let me know if it is not.)

3) Reach through the outbaord side of the steering column opening and remove the combination flasher and wire harness connector from the instrument panel diagnoal mountin gbracket by gently prying the connector retainer from the bracket mounting hole.

4) Pull the combination flasher and wire harness connecdtor into the steering column opening far enough to unplug the flasher from the wire harness connector.

5) Install the combination flasher by aligning the flasher terminals with the cavities in the wire harness connector and pushing the flasher firmly into place.

6) Reinstall the retainer that secures the combination flasher and wire harness connector to the instrument panel diagnoal mounting bracket.

7) Reinstall the knee blocker and the steering column opening cover as described in Group 8E - Instrument Panel Systems.

8) Connect the battery negative cable

9) Test the flasher operation.

(Taken directly from the 1997 XJ FSM - comments in parenthesis are mine, and not part of the manual.)

5-90

Back