• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch capacity

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99xj with a factory hitch part # 52058266 it says 200 tonque 2000 weight and 750 /5000 weight distribution what is the capacity i here people say they have 500/5000 capacity is there another factory hitch this is the onlyone i show in the parts manual...

Class I hitches have a 1" drawbar and the 2000 lbs limit. Class III hitches have a 2" drawbar and the 5000 lbs limit. The 4.0 L motor, automatic tranmission, trailer brakes, equalizing hitches and sway controls are really, really, needed for larger loads. Automatic transmissions will need a cooler and a HD radiator is a good idea also. Use synthetic gear lube in the rear diff.

Last edited:
the numbers are just confusing the sticker on the hitch says 200/2000 and 750/5000 with weight dist.. and it is 2" so why would the 200/2000 be there?

The owner's manual for my 2000 concurs with the Class I / 2000 lb and Class III / 5000 lb limits. It also states that with a Class III hitch, the tongue weight must be at least 10% of the gross trailer weight but no more than 15%, and that an equalizing hitch is required for tongue weights above 350 pounds. Thus, you can tow a 3500 lb trailer without an equalizer hitch if you keep your tongue weight to the minimum of 15% or 350 lb. That said, I just towed a 3500 lb trailer with a tongue weight of just under 400 pounds for 3000 miles without any problems. (I bought a tongue weight scale from Sheerline.) If I were to do it again, I would beef up the rear suspension a bit, but I don't know that I would get the equalizer hitch unless I were going even heavier.

Ken

Back