• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black Coolant

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of changing out all of my cooling components and all of the coolant that is coming out is very dark brown almost black. Is it just very dirty coolant that hasn't been changed in a long time or is this a sign of a more serious problem. The oil does not look like a milk shake. I've only had the Jeep for 3 months and I'm not sure of the maintenance history of it. The coolant also smells really bad.

Last edited:
Sounds old....change it (don't forget to clean out the overflow bottle) and keep an eye on it in the future.

That reminds me; I should probably do mine one of these days soon. Thanks.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yeah, flush it good. The overflow on mine always gets a bit of mud on the bottom, now matter how many times I clean it. I have flushed my block + heater core too. Although the coolant in the radiator is bright green. I suppose the overflow bottle isn't something to worry about. It always seems to get dirty in there.

Blaine B. said:
Yeah, flush it good. The overflow on mine always gets a bit of mud on the bottom, now matter how many times I clean it. I have flushed my block + heater core too. Although the coolant in the radiator is bright green. I suppose the overflow bottle isn't something to worry about. It always seems to get dirty in there.

X2. If it's that bad and crummy, a good flush is definitely in order. Be aware though, that if the PO didn't take care of the Jeep like called for, some of that gunk your seeing may very well be holding your cooling system together. Don't be too surprised if you see any coolant leaks in the future as a result of flushing the system.

Yep I flushed my rad and it burst within a week and a half. I was a bit more gentle with the heater core, as I did that later on. Although I did do a chemical flush too.

99XJSPORT06 said:
X2. If it's that bad and crummy, a good flush is definitely in order. Be aware though, that if the PO didn't take care of the Jeep like called for, some of that gunk your seeing may very well be holding your cooling system together. Don't be too surprised if you see any coolant leaks in the future as a result of flushing the system.

I shouldn't be suprised if it leaks even though I'm changing the entire cool system except for the heater core?

kdailey4315 said:
I shouldn't be suprised if it leaks even though I'm changing the entire cool system except for the heater core?

Ohh well in that case, you shouldn't have any problems. Guess I completely missed that part of your orig. post. Guess thats what I get for working on homework too long....

Sounds like somebody put in some stop leak.

There's a possibility your radiator is toast too. When I took mine out the fins just crumbled if you touched them. So yeah, it was toast......and I apparently helped open up a leak by flushing it.

Although it is good to have something fail at a more convenient time than later on when you least expect it.

Back