• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel movement...

probably because when you wheel you cycle the suspension. This normally results in you comprerssing the springs a bit, causint the axle to shift due to the trackbar being fixed. mine does it also, but I did find that when I had the springs out for work,I got a little bit of the lift back

BUMP.gif

Check your track bar mount bolts and the frame in the area of the steering box. Had a similar problem and had to beef up that area.

Hoss

ExTankerGuy said:
What is a vibration dampner on the steering shaft?

you got me.

make sure the splines on the pitman arm and steering shaft are good-- I had a dirt track car that was fine unless you cranked the steering to left lock and it would slip at full lock!

I see this alot,its usually from losing lift.

ExTankerGuy said:
What is a vibration dampner on the steering shaft?

If you look at the steering shaft near the firewall, there is a vibration damper built in to the firewall end U-joint. (some photos of an aftermarket damper here http://www.borgeson.com/VibrationDamp.htm).

The vibration damper is essentialy a hollow cylinder of rubber with one end of the steering shaft attached to the inside, and the firewall end u-joint attached at the outside

On my 92, the rubber in the damper deteriorated, and under high steering loads the inner and outer parts of the damper would slip relative to each other, which would cause the steering wheel to go off-center.

Hope that helps

Doug

ExTankerGuy said:
Why is it every time I go wheelin' my steering wheel ends up in a different position when driving home? As in being centered...

Had the exact same problem that you described. The #1 culprit is going to be your drag link linkage is not tight. If your track bar and whatnot had a little play in it, it would not be enough to cause your steering wheel to be incredibly far off center.
My steering wheel would get farther and farther off center until I tightened the drag link linkage and haven't had a single problem since. Check your drag link.

Back