• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how would this look on my xj?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User

That was my snorkel setup on the tj. It came out of the hood via a 4" hole and a 90 degree fitting that directed it back towards the window about 1 foot and then up with a 4" pvc cap. Never had water in my snorkel during the 2 years of using it off road, in the rain, and snow.

Do you think it'll look ok on the cherokee? I'm just worried cuz i hear round don't go with boxy.....

Lookin forward to cutting a big hole :)

I'd say it would depend on the route you'd take on the xj. Are you going to copycat the route of the arb snorkel, or just do the same thing you did to your tj, cuz that looks alright.

sandman said:
I'd say it would depend on the route you'd take on the xj. Are you going to copycat the route of the arb snorkel, or just do the same thing you did to your tj, cuz that looks alright.

I don't really like the looks of the snorkels going up the windshield like arb and all that. I wanna see what some people think before i go ahead and decide. It's more likely the hood setup cuz it's cheap ($32 for everything) and works like a charm.

That'd look alright. It wouldn't make your eyes bleed or anything. Heck, they do the same thing on H1s, box-like body with a round tube for a snorkel outta the hood. As far as visibility, well he's got a point. Duck tape a coffe can or something there just to see if its going to be bad before you go and cut a hole.

Last edited:
Just remember that the bottom of your windshield is right at hood level on the XJ. Anything coming out of the top of your hood more than a few inches will intefere with some of your view. The air intake on the XJ is also on the driver side. Hope you like the look of painted PVC, cuz it gonna be right in front of your face. If you do it be sure to show some pics.

It's gonna be re-routed to the passenger side with flex hose once i figure out the engine bay setup. The snorkel pops off when you twist it and then the hood opens. It may be a chore to some but it's 1.6 extra seconds for me and doesn't bother me :) I'm gonna buy the pvc parts and set it on the hood to take a picture.

One quick question, i recall reading about the cherokee intake required for some inspection/emissions tests. Is this true for the 2001 model as well? I don't want to hack up the intake system and regret it later. If it is a problem, i'll make sure the custom setup is removable to return it to stock for inspections.

i say go for it

DSC02074.jpg

Sweet. Mine will be just a bit further back (hole) than yours. Good to see another hood-mounted snorkel :)

I found a neat trick to pretty up the hole you cut. Go buy some crankcase hose (black) and cut the desired length to fit around the cut hole. Slice one side of the hose and stick that over the hole edge. It makes it look like a clean install.

Why not run it into the cowl by passing through the top of the firewall. That way you dont have the ugly tube running along the hood and then up. You then also dont have to remove it each time you lift the hood as well.
Be like this one but then up as well out of the cowl.

Dscf0023_lg.jpg

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JJcustomSnorkle/CustomSnorkle.htm

Personally I prefer a setup like above as much cleaner install.

I agree with Go-jeep. Having that tube sticking out of the hood is way too ugly, and there is no need. pictured above, is a perfect setup, completely hidden from the outside, no need to remove parts to open the hood and will prevent water from being sucked into the intake.

etaniyani said:
I agree with Go-jeep. Having that tube sticking out of the hood is way too ugly, and there is no need. pictured above, is a perfect setup, completely hidden from the outside, no need to remove parts to open the hood and will prevent water from being sucked into the intake.

Yes i have considered that route as well. My concern with that setup is SNOW. We get some nasty winters here and from my experiences in the TJ, the cowl vent is often clogged with ice and snow so does the intake still get enough air if the vent is completely covered in ice/snow?

Im hoping to do the through the firewall method, but with a difference. Basically picture a coffee can with a hole in the bottom. Place the can around an open element kit (I have Rusty's airtube) and leave the lid off, you have a heat shield, albeit a ghetto one. Then place a hole in the side for the snorkel tube, and run it up into the firewall. When attempting water crossings, just snap the lid on and you have a snorkel. Leave it off and you won't have to worry about ice and snow.

I think GoJeep has a similar writeup somewhere. Or at least someone does. And of course it's gotta be more than just a coffee can, thats just for mental illustration only :cheers:

I have the same thing as go jeep's pic there

98XJSport said:
Im hoping to do the through the firewall method, but with a difference. Basically picture a coffee can with a hole in the bottom. Place the can around an open element kit (I have Rusty's airtube) and leave the lid off, you have a heat shield, albeit a ghetto one. Then place a hole in the side for the snorkel tube, and run it up into the firewall. When attempting water crossings, just snap the lid on and you have a snorkel. Leave it off and you won't have to worry about ice and snow.

I think GoJeep has a similar writeup somewhere. Or at least someone does. And of course it's gotta be more than just a coffee can, thats just for mental illustration only :cheers:

I was thinking of something like that but your idea is pretty good. I remember that thread of the dude who made a dual-intake, one outside and one inside with some kind of pipe valve that you can use to switch to which one you want (outside or inside). I won't be using anything like that of course but the idea is similar. Keep the ideas coming though :)

Chris

can anyone chime in on the snow/ice situation? Does it have any effect on the firewall snorkel? If no, i will just do that method and call it a day.

muddeprived said:
Yes i have considered that route as well. My concern with that setup is SNOW. We get some nasty winters here and from my experiences in the TJ, the cowl vent is often clogged with ice and snow so does the intake still get enough air if the vent is completely covered in ice/snow?

Even if completely covered with snow and ice, it will still be able to breath. There are large drain openings at each end of the cowl floor to drain the water out between the cowl and the guard. It would just draw air through there or even your inside vent system if it came down to it.

Back