• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust question

jpd73

NAXJA Forum User
Well against a lot of guys out here's advise I bought from Rusty's. I bought the Flowdaddy header,Banks downpipe,Catco cat, Flowmaster cat back 40 series. Well the Banks downpipe doesnt even come close to fitting matched up to the Flowdaddy, the hanger doesn't come anywhere near the stock mount and the front drive shaft is hitting. I understand that there are threads about custom down pipes but I called Rusty to see what he could do for me and he's sending out a stock down pipe. This is going to ruin any gain from the headers, free flow cat and flowmaster, am I right or wrong? Should my front axel be walking enough to hit the pipe? (the pipe only hits when I turn right). I know so don't turn right, takes to long to get home from work taking all lefts. Any help is appreciated.....

Sell the banks one on ebay and go to a local exhaust shop and have one bent up.

No offence but u paid like $150 more for that header than you should have, the APN one is only like $130 and its the same thing. And i agree just get one custom bent, thats what im doing since that header dont exactly bolt up to a '01 exhaust.

I agree with you about paying more for the Flowdaddy, I kinda had a bad feeling about why that APN header was so cheap. I work with stainless steel daily and the price just doesn't match up with the cost of what they claim the header is made out of. It might be made of what they claim and I probably did pay to much, which sucks.

I didn't think Banks made a downpipe for XJ's.
Wranglers yes, but when I got my Banks header and asked about the downpipe I was told no-go. So if Rusty sold you one for your application I would think its his problem and you should be able to return it.

Make sure if they bend up a custom pipe, if they make it with the Jeep off th ground, when you get it back, flex it out to see if anything hits. Mine was made while the suspension was saggin (frame lift, not tires) when I drove around a bit I noticed the O2 sensor hit the shaft. They fixed it.

you'll note that the stock downpipe has a big "dent" in it from the factory, that was for driveshaft clearance.
I had the same problem after I lifted my junk, and the driveshaft was outside of the factory dent.

A large hammer solved the problem.

Otherwise, find a local shop and go custom.

I also had a custom down pipe made but mainly to raise it up to fit under a skid plate. It hit when I would bottom out and self dented. Since I scooted the transmission mount over 1/4" and the track bar can be adjusted to give more clearance. I also heard of shiming the motor mounts for pipe clearance. It's definatly an issue but you can tweek things to get it to fit better.

Thanks for the replies. I dropped it off this morning at the Jeep shop up the street. He's going to weld a few of the joints and I told him if he had to hammer it go ahead. I really didn't want to go back to stock and dont trust to many shops down here in st pete. I really try to do most of the stuff my self but needed a good alignment along with some welding done. I want to try to get everything solid before I get into lifting.

sjx which header did you bolt it up to? I have mine on the Flowdaddy, I would like to see a bunch of headers lined up to see if the downpipe connector is in the same place. It may have been stupid to go with the Flowdaddy not knowing who makes it. I probably should've just bought the Borla system.

does anyone know whether or not a borla exhaust will fit my 99? quadratec said they cut the year from 93'-96' and continue at 00'-01'. dynomax fits from 93' to 01'. why wouldnt the borla fit or did they just not test it?

Back