• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Gearing.

texinteg

NAXJA Forum User
I came across an 86 Cherokee with the 4 cylinder and an auto transmission. I was reading some where that this setup most likely has 4.56 gears. Can any one give me some insight on this. I didnt get a chance to check on the vehicle as I spotted this one on my way out of the yard and it was closing time or else I would have checked. Also is there an RPO code I can check for so that I dont have to jack up the vehicle to check it out? thanks

You read wrong. While 4.56's have been found, they almost always were on early 4 bangers and a stick. Probably less than .5% had 4.56's. With the auto, you would be lucky to have 3.73's. The only way to tell is to crawl under it and check the tags.

Oh well I will jack it up and check but I will probably just end up buying a set of 4.56 gears and installing them.

old_man said:
You read wrong. While 4.56's have been found, they almost always were on early 4 bangers and a stick. Probably less than .5% had 4.56's. With the auto, you would be lucky to have 3.73's. The only way to tell is to crawl under it and check the tags.

The 4.56 axle I have was out of a early 4cyl auto.

I thought the autos always had lower gears than the manual trans, 3.55 the norm for auto while 3.08? for manual trans.

well that gives me a little hope then. all I know is that its and 86 4cyl auto and it was running and driving when the pulled it in the yard or at least thats what they told me.

Prepmech said:
The 4.56 axle I have was out of a early 4cyl auto.

I thought the autos always had lower gears than the manual trans, 3.55 the norm for auto while 3.08? for manual trans.

From what I have read & seen, it is the 2.5L/AW4 combo that has 4.56 gears. JIM.

Back