• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove steering wheel?

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any advice on removing the steering wheel. My steering wheel is very worn out from where I used to "palm" it at the top. I found an OEM replacement from Jeeps Are Us, but my FSM doesn't go into detail on how to remove it. I have an air bag as well. From the looks of it, it sounds really easy, but I think I need a couple special tools.

Thanks!

JoshRountree said:
Anyone have any advice on removing the steering wheel. My steering wheel is very worn out from where I used to "palm" it at the top. I found an OEM replacement from Jeeps Are Us, but my FSM doesn't go into detail on how to remove it. I have an air bag as well. From the looks of it, it sounds really easy, but I think I need a couple special tools.

Thanks!
You should just have to take off the four screws that hold the airbag on from the back, unplug and remove it, and the use a steering wheel puller against the center stud to pull it.

You've probably solved this by now but the puller bolt for the steering wheel is 5/16-18, at least for the 93.

Pelican said:
You've probably solved this by now but the puller bolt for the steering wheel is 5/16-18, at least for the 93.

I ended up buying this: http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-7927A.html , I know I could rent one, but I'd rather just buy a decent tool and have it should I need it again.

One last question, I'm pretty sure I have the leather wrapped steering wheel and wanted to replace it with the same thing, but at Jeeps Are Us it's $235!!! I could buy a whole column for around $250. The molded one is only $62, looks like I'll be getting the molded one unless someone can reccommend a place to get the leather for much cheaper.

Back