• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Curiosity Question

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
okay how much work would it take to convert an automatic to a 5spd if i had all the equipment? my xj runs great and i was just wondering how much work. there is a 91 5spd xj in my freinds yard that doesnt have a motor and had been wrecked. so i was just intrested in knowing how much work. automatics are nice though.

89heepxj said:
okay how much work would it take to convert an automatic to a 5spd if i had all the equipment? my xj runs great and i was just wondering how much work. there is a 91 5spd xj in my freinds yard that doesnt have a motor and had been wrecked. so i was just intrested in knowing how much work. automatics are nice though.
1 to 2 days tops

why go through that? aw4's are great tranny's and IMHO, are mucho mas facil / easier to wheel that manuals. Those with manuals swear by wheeling with the ax-15.

it was just a question... and i there is a busted up jeep with all the parts.. i do liket he luxiry of not having to shift though lol..well idk.. i would like to hear some opinions manual vs. automatic... thanks

How long have you been wheeling?

From the POV of someone who's still "learning" to wheel (ony had my Jeep a bit more than a year) and bought one with an AX-15, it would be much easier to learn technique with an automatic, then get a 5spd later down the road.

Wheeling with a stick is so 1940s.

With a modern automatic like the AW4 combined with a shift controller, a guy can produce a setup that works far better than a stick.

The only advantage that I can ever think of is if you're about to go over backwards, it's somewhat easier to go off the power by hammering in the clutch. However, it's far better to learn how to hit reverse with an auto. That is NOT possible with a stick - you're limited to neutral only.

ok, here's the deal: to each his own. I own a stick shift rig, and all my vehicles have always been stick shift. IMHO auto's suck: they take fun out of operating them. But... stick shifts are not for everyone ;) I'll be the first to admit it. Sometimes owning a stick makes things easier, sometimes harder. Same goes for autos.

Even being a car guy my entire life and working as a tech. I cannot really think of anytime, save for road racing were a manual transmission really is a benefit other then drivers preference, over a good automatic. Especially now days, auto trannys are way more efficient, strong and just easier to drive. Even like drag racing. Most auto trannys will be just as strong if not stronger then a manual, give way more consistency, and offer way better launching. On the trail, I would not want to dance the pedals as I am trying to climb up hill, off camber and between trees. Driving a manual off road requires tons of finesse when it comes to the harry obstacles.

I think the only real reason to have a manual transmission is because you really like to drive it. I don't think it offers any true benefit.

redsand187 said:
Even being a car guy my entire life and working as a tech. I cannot really think of anytime, save for road racing were a manual transmission really is a benefit other then drivers preference, over a good automatic. Especially now days, auto trannys are way more efficient, strong and just easier to drive. Even like drag racing. Most auto trannys will be just as strong if not stronger then a manual, give way more consistency, and offer way better launching. On the trail, I would not want to dance the pedals as I am trying to climb up hill, off camber and between trees. Driving a manual off road requires tons of finesse when it comes to the harry obstacles.
Here's one: not have to deal with overheating nor it acting weird due to temps or some selenoid issues and so on..... less things to go wrong when you're in middle of nowhere ;)
I think the only real reason to have a manual transmission is because you really like to drive it. I don't think it offers any true benefit.
see point above ;) :D

okay thanks for the info.. i will stick with my auto lol.. i am a begginer wheeler and i must say hill climbing is in my opinion easier in a auto.. thanks for the information.. i just always assumed that wheeling was easier in a manual do to everyone running them. funny you menchin overheating.. my thermestats keep going out and im overheating. lol i overheat sitting there though lol.

Kejtar said:
Here's one: not have to deal with overheating nor it acting weird due to temps or some selenoid issues and so on..... less things to go wrong when you're in middle of nowhere ;)

see point above ;) :D

You can overheat/burn/glaze your clutch.... It's not that I think manuals suck. They just aren't for me, and people that swear that they are hands down better the autos really are naive.

Funny you mentioned this though. I was wheelin' today with my jeep, I look over at my tranny temp gauge, it was reading 270-280 degrees. I would have never know if I hadn't have looked. I was actually surprised the AX4 is a pretty amazing tranny, especially for how old of a design it is.

AW4s are tough. I ran mine OUT of fluid twice. The current owner did the same thing. And it's still alive.

I've never seen one break on the trail.

Other than the guy who broke his bell-housing. Which was because he'd broke a rear leaf then stayed on the throttle and bottomed out the rear D/S and compressed the whole drivetrain. The bell gave, it was the weak point.

redsand187 said:
You can overheat/burn/glaze your clutch.... It's not that I think manuals suck. They just aren't for me, and people that swear that they are hands down better the autos really are naive.
I'm not saying tha they are hands down better. I think my post was that to each his own and each one has it's place. Heck... I wasn't the one that said
I cannot really think of anytime, save for road racing were a manual transmission really is a benefit other then drivers preference, over a good automatic
and

I have an early Bronco that I've owned for 20 yrs now. I removed the auto (after 5 yrs and 3 rebuilds) and replaced it with a granny gear four speed.....I love it. I just stick it in 1st (or second) and just idle over stuff. The auto required a two footed driving technique gas it to get on top of an obstacle brake with the left foot to keep from crashing over the top....although lower gearing in the axles and/or t-case would've really made a difference($). My Bronco with 4.11s and a 6.69 1st gear, is plenty low enough @ 64:1 (even on 35s.....it's got a pretty torquey 351W) but, still tolerable at highway speeds. So my point is, that gearing will make a big difference. Oh, and there is a benefit over the auto.......it uses less gas on long trail rides as you're not constantly on the gas winding up the torque convertor to get over stuff ;)---------Hans

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
I'm not saying tha they are hands down better. I think my post was that to each his own and each one has it's place. Heck... I wasn't the one that said

and
I'm not going to say that autos are better either. But for most people they make more sense.

I've fought this argument many times with many people, and I always end up having to defend the autos so I guess that is the position I come from.

It seems like a it is the norm for people to think they are missing out on something (other then an extra pedal :)) when they have a automatic.

Whenever I hear of people wanting to swap a manual for an auto I just have to really wonder why, especially when it's much easier to go buy a new vehicle with the tranny you want.

100% preferance....
do you ONLY rock crawl?
dunno about you guys... but i find myself asking my buddy to drive his mj, just cause its fun to mash the manual around the twisty fireroads....even though my rig is a little better driving... yet automatic.
I wouldnt want to DD the stick in los angeles traffic.... but lots do

do you find driving a stickshift fun?
do you do A LOT of bumper to bumper driving?
these are the things you should be asking yourself... and nobody else
the swap is gonna take a crapload of effort? you down?

xcm said:
however, i wouldnt want to DD it in los angeles traffic....
I've been doing it in LA traffic (60 miles across LA) for the past 6+ years now. Honesty, it's not as big of a deal that everyone makes it out to be. Actually IMHO it's not an issue at all.
do you do A LOT of bumper to bumper driving?
about 50% see point above.
these are the things you should be asking yourself... and nobody else
+1
the swap is gonna take a crapload of effort? you down?
it does not if you got all the parts.

I agree. I DD a manual trans in LA traffic and its no big deal. Hell, it probably helps me be a bit more attentive than the other drivers here, since I don't have a free hand for a latte.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I agree. I DD a manual trans in LA traffic and its no big deal. Hell, it probably helps me be a bit more attentive than the other drivers here, since I don't have a free hand for a latte.
Funny you mention that: I came to the same conclusion LONG time ago!

Back