• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where does everyone stay?

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
NAXJA Member
Looking at a ton of places on websites to make potential reservations.

Where does the group hang out? Are all the hotels located so that if you stay at one and a bunch of people are at another it's still relatively convienent?

What about trail access?

This will likely be my only trip to Moab until I retire in 10 years and I've never been.

Trail access is simple, and we'll have organized runs every day. The trails are all relatively close to town, in all directions.

We will headquarter at Slickrock Campground, where we go every year. It's showing it's age somewhat facility wise, but the trees are huge and there are ton's of them. Some folks will stay at other campgrounds/RV parks because some are nicer, but none are large enough for our group or will tolerate our noise, and Slickrock has plenty of room to group together visiting.

As far as motels, you'll just have to choose one, or see where others are staying. You might look up a map of Moab to see the layout, and see what's close. The RV parks are generally on the north end of town, so you could get a motel in that area to be close for hanging out.

BTW, the plans are still coming together, it is almost a year away. You folks are bringing up questions early this time............nice! :)

The new owner of the Moab Inca Inn (Markus Heimgartner) is a Swiss Jeeper. He and his family are moving to Moab in the new year and he said that he would work out a deal for us once he has settled in. He only has 22 rooms but doesn't mind his parking lot being used for repairs presumably as long as all the guests are NAXJA. I will see him again in December before he moves and will discuss it further.

Okay I'm in for the INN hope to be my first trip and probably bringing a couple of grandkids. John

I plan on staying at Slickrock the next time around. I doubt the wife n kid will come. The recent Moab FF, we rented a brand spankin new townhome which was nice and was barely a few dollars more per night than the Bowen motel. Unfortunately it was about 5 miles south of town but fortunately, it was close to the SteelBender roundup. :)

DrMoab said:
http://www.discovermoab.com/

Is a good site to help you with hotel or camping decisions. Pretty much all of Moab is listed there.

That's where I was looking, but had no idea about the good/bad associated with any of those places.

Now that I know where the campground is, I can plan accordingly. My wife has made it very clear that we won't be camping.

She's letting me drive 33 hours across the country to go wheeling, so she gets what she wants.

RedHeep said:
That's where I was looking, but had no idea about the good/bad associated with any of those places.

Now that I know where the campground is, I can plan accordingly. My wife has made it very clear that we won't be camping.

She's letting me drive 33 hours across the country to go wheeling, so she gets what she wants.

Well if the place Vince doesn't work out I can tell you that all the big name brand hotels are ok in town...if you got the money. Most of them are on the plus side of 100 a night now.

DrMoab said:
Well if the place Vince doesn't work out I can tell you that all the big name brand hotels are ok in town...if you got the money. Most of them are on the plus side of 100 a night now.

Most of them are right around 60 or 70 a night with the government rate.

At the very least, we'll end up in one of Slickrock's cabins, 10% off gets me to $36 a night.

RedHeep said:
Most of them are right around 60 or 70 a night with the government rate.

At the very least, we'll end up in one of Slickrock's cabins, 10% off gets me to $36 a night.
Haha...now you are getting somewhere.

Cabins at Slickrock are NOT reccomended. Try Moab Rim camp park or some others.

Unless you like wiping the lice off the bed before you climb in.

If you want a motel close to Slickrock camp, the Holiday Inn Express and the Arches Inn are the closest. I have stayed at both. The Holiday Inn was the nicer of the two but both were comfortable.

See you there.

Mary

DrMoab said:

I've stayed in the cabins for the past 5 years or so, and haven't had any problems. Yeah, they're plain and simple: 4 walls, roof and a door with a window or two... but what else do you need?

DrMoab said:

Wow! That's harsh.

They fill up fast every year. I stayed in one at the 20th anniversary event, and it was fine. Though, I'm dense enough I probably wouldn't have noticed the lice......... :D

DrMoab said:

The trick is to have the lice on ya before you get there that way the new ones will have company and won,t bother ya,I also raise the alcohol content of my body the first day I am there and it makes them unhappy........SANTA,cabin #4 again Slickrock Campground 2008

Kejtar said:
I've stayed in the cabins for the past 5 years or so, and haven't had any problems. Yeah, they're plain and simple: 4 walls, roof and a door with a window or two... but what else do you need?

I worry more about the drunks than I do the lice. Sometimes it seems like they aren't even speaking English! :D

Back