• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfercase help

Ricochet

NAXJA Forum User
Well to make a long story short.

I bought a 95 country that has the 2hi - 4hi - n - 4low shifter. According to all my searching, it has a np231. Great. I order my teraflex exreme short shaft and go to put it in today. Having a hard time getting gear on new shaft, try using a press and bammm. Cracked the gear. Ok, not getting mad. Its only a setback. Start cleaning up and look at the back half of the case and it says np 242 j on the tag. Well shoot, looks like someone swapped it out.

So i'm keeping the slip yoke eliminator and figure I would just slap a np231 in. So here is the question. Are the front driveshafts the same size or should I look for one of those as well? This is going behind an auto if that matters.

Thanks for any help.

The front driveshaft will be the same. Seriously though, you've got an NP231 shifter on a 242? Could you even get that into 4wd in any range??

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yeah when i took it for a test drive it shifted fine. but i'm holding the tag now that says 242 j lol. Thanks for the response. Now to hunt down a 231.

Back