• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch

PosiDave

NAXJA Forum User
My Clutch went in my 96' Xj. I am doing the repair with the help of two other mechanical experienced people. none of us have did a clutch on an XJ, but have on cars,trucks,18wheels. I was wondering about how long it should take to do the whole clutch kit? I was also wondering if there are any common big problems with doing a clutch job? I heard they are a pain to put in.

Probably take an afternoon, or a whole Saturday...Depending on equipment available (shop, lift, trans jack)...Its the same as any other clutch job...

With the XJ, I believe you need an external torx (e-12 I think) for only the bell housing-to-engine bolts that go on top so have that handy. Given the opportunity, I would retrofit those bolts to hex. Also on some years the flywheel should not be machined.

Get a tranny jack. The tranny/transfer is heavy and long. If the clutch show signs of over heating or the bolts have been torqued more then twice already then replace flywheel and pressure plate bolts. A little Locktite blue will never hurt.

A transmission jack isn't necessary if you have two floor jacks, one for engine, one for tranny. E12 reverse torx head bit with long extension is needed to access the two bolts at top of bell housing through the tunnel. Don't try to use a 12-point socket or you'll strip one or both of those bolts. Replace with hex head bolts. R&R the tranny/transfer case as one unit, it's not that heavy. Use new strap bolts for -U- joints, which should be replaced as needed.

It's a little easier to line up the tranny for reassembly by suspending it from the tunnel with a nylon strap around a 2X4. Cut the heads off two 5-6" bolts and notch one end to use for guide pins to line up the tranny.

Biggest PITA is probably the TC linkage. With three sets of hands and a liesurely pace, job should take a day. Good luck.

Back