• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 wont shift out of 4x4

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
hey guys my 242 transfer case will not shift out of 4 wheel high unless u get underneath and bang on it with something. Does anyone have a spare or a 231 w/ the proper spline count that i can buy? It looks like its having trouble in the fork, from what my brother told me. Its an 89 inline 6, aw4 tranny

ladywolf said:
hey guys my 242 transfer case will not shift out of 4 wheel high unless u get underneath and bang on it with something. Does anyone have a spare or a 231 w/ the proper spline count that i can buy? It looks like its having trouble in the fork, from what my brother told me. Its an 89 inline 6, aw4 tranny
You know if you are mechanicly inclined at all (you work on helicopters for god sakes...)

You can replace those little plastic ears on the shift forks for about 5 bucks and if you are crafty you don't even need to pull the case out of the jeep.

Or you can put a 231 in it and not worry about stupid 242 issues.

yes i know its horrendous i can go pull stuff apart on a helicopter all day but when it comes to my Jeep i look like the stupid typical blonde with the "durrrr" look on my face when it comes to doing more than changing my oil or a tire.

its weird cuz the transfer case shifts just fine from 2hi to 4hi part and full time, then into neutral and 4 lo, it just wont shift back out easily. i dont know enuf about the internals or whatnot to tear into it and expect it to work correctly afterwards.

sitting still while the jeep is in neutral

goodburbon said:
no good, you gotta be rolling. easiest shifts will occur while rolling, and in neutral.

X2. And it could be as simple as the linkage being slightly out of adjustment. If the linkage is at the end of it's stroke before it's fully into 2wd, it will stick in 4wd. It's one 13mm nut you loosen underneath on the linkage to adjust it.

J

we've tried adjusting the linkage, no dice. the forks end up bowing the linkage arm even when you push the lever in the jeep into 2wd. It shifts through everything else easily with no problems. it actually doesnt like to shift thru the 4 wheel lo and hi when rolling. it'll end up grinding if you try to shift it while rolling

From 4x lo the tranny needs to be in N and stopped then put the Transfer case thru the 4hi to 2 hi.
The above can also be done while barely rolling,just before dead stopped and do it while going straight.
With a Loc-right in the front I have the same problem at times.
1 more thing if you still have a problem getting it into 2 hi put it in the GREEN 4 hi position and it won`t harm anything that [[[[ position can be run anytime any road surface]]]]
If your at somplace that has jack stands put the front end up on them spin the front wheels with the trans case in 2 hi. to see if they are free or not

Last edited:
the 4hi parttime is a pain cuz it affects power and gas mileage, which i need living out in the boonies in eastern WA. it really sucks when trying to pull into parking spots at places like wally world. i'll get it fixed eventually, its just gonna take time and money, and was wondering if anyone had one or new someone who had one they wanted to get rid of.

the jeep is back in 2hi for now, and there it will stay until i get it fixed, i guess.

If your in eastern Wa, just hit up pull and save. There was about 10-15 xjs out there the other day. You can almost always find a 231 if thats what you want to go to. Oh and they run $56 plus tax.
Cleatus

wheres that at? i live between yakima and tri cities, so will call their big auto wrecking places today, i also have to call the radiator shop and get a new radiator for the stinkin jeep (gotta love money pits)

and i'm home on r and r. was over at lewis the other day, had to pick up socks and tshirts and a new pair of boots. have a week and a half left till i head back, was hopin to get the jeep fixed by then

thats alright, cascade auto wrecking in yakima has em

i havent swapped the TC on the jeep since i've owned it. if you take the linkage off the arm, you end up having to use a screwdriver and a hammer to beat it from 4hi to 2hi. i picked up a different transfer case today at the wrecking yard for 200 bucks. my brother will swap it for me and we will see if that fixes the issue. if it does, i'll figure out a way to rebuild the other one, then i'll have a good spare if the one i just bought gives up the ghost.

ladywolf said:
i havent swapped the TC on the jeep since i've owned it. if you take the linkage off the arm, you end up having to use a screwdriver and a hammer to beat it from 4hi to 2hi. i picked up a different transfer case today at the wrecking yard for 200 bucks. my brother will swap it for me and we will see if that fixes the issue. if it does, i'll figure out a way to rebuild the other one, then i'll have a good spare if the one i just bought gives up the ghost.
Ouch man, most transfer cases go for under $100.00. Did you get a 231 or 242?

i got another 242

Back