• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i take off my rear sway bar?

Take it off and throw it away. My 1999 XJ came stock that way, and yes it will increase your flex.

The Up-Country jeeps never had rear sway bars. They did have heavier springs.

Try it! If you don't like it you can always put the bar back on.

Try disconnecting one side only. This will basically render the swaybar useless, and then you can see how it feels. If you don't like how it drives, just put the bolt back in and you are done. If you don't mind (or don't notice) the difference in street characteristics, remove the whole thing.

I keep them installed on my street XJ's but my trail XJ is without them completely. The trail rig also goes alot slower and not so much on road other than the half hour or less driving to a trail.

If you're below around 6" lift or so, then yeah, you can take it out and you'll probably have a net gain in performance. I did this for a few years.

If you're above that, there are many more benefits to keeping it. Sidehill stability being my own reason. Take it off, try it, and if you don't like it then put it back on and pursue other options.

Don't do it! It will make your rearend swing around like a pole dancer in front of a full house on a Saturday night.
:looney:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Mine was deleted by the Up Country package from the factory, so in 10 years of driving I have never had one and can only think of a time or two where I wished it was there.

vetteboy said:
If you're below around 6" lift or so, then yeah, you can take it out and you'll probably have a net gain in performance. I did this for a few years.

If you're above that, there are many more benefits to keeping it. Sidehill stability being my own reason. Take it off, try it, and if you don't like it then put it back on and pursue other options.
I disagree on that one. Most of us dont have the rear linked like you do. You added one because of unloading in the back of yours.
People with leaves dont have as much a problem with that as you do.

And heres a FAQ about the topic. And a 5 sec search would pull up tons of threads about this same subject.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101163

I have, noticed a little bit of a difference, but then again I don't DD mine.

-Andrew

Back