• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have looked everywhere...what size bolt

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
the two bolts that are different size than the rest on the oil pan that are closest to the transmission what size are they? The xj I just bought is missing them and I cannot find a solid answer. 96 4.0 aw4.

Theyt are a 1/2" hex head IIRC, not sure of the size or thread pitch. A junk yard/u-pull would be an easy place to grab them if you have something local.

I think two of the bolts at the front are also the larger size, same as the two at the back. I don't remember for sure, but one of them might be one of the studs that holds the tranny lines. Maybe you can pull one of them for the thread size.

The small screws are 1/4"-20 x 1/2"

The four large ones are 5/16"-18 x 3/4"

Use the one-piece moulded rubber gasket (for 1996-up) to put it all back together. It will fit, and it's a lot easier than wrestling with the four cork and rubber bits on the earlier gasket...

5-90 said:
The small screws are 1/4"-20 x 1/2"

The four large ones are 5/16"-18 x 3/4"

Use the one-piece moulded rubber gasket (for 1996-up) to put it all back together. It will fit, and it's a lot easier than wrestling with the four cork and rubber bits on the earlier gasket...
u sure it was 96 for the one piece rubber gasket? My 95 (made 9/94) came with the one piece rubber gasket. Also would it be ok to replace the bolts with allen cap bolts?

ROBZ95Xj said:
u sure it was 96 for the one piece rubber gasket? My 95 (made 9/94) came with the one piece rubber gasket.

Possible. I just remember it coming in with the main brace (it was probably a bit earlier - but we're talking aftermarket here, and I needed a convenient mnemonic...) So, if you ask for the 1996 oil sump gasket, you're going to get the moulded rubber version.

Quick check - make sure the part number (for Fel-Pro, anyhow) ends with the letter "R", which indicates rubber (like with the Chevvy valve cover gaskets - there are two cork versions and a rubber version. The 5/32" cork - I think - and the rubber versions have the same part number, save that the cork ends with "C" and the rubber with "R".)

Back