• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I love free jeep parts...

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I've been given the opportunity to get whatever I want off of a friend's mother's 87 xj, for free. Among the things I'm getting/already pulled, are two front tow hooks + brackets, a rear tow hook + bracket, and a front skid. It has a 2.8, and is going to the wrecking yard. Anything else I should look for and grab?

And, is there any advanage to having two front tow hooks?

i would grab as much as you could from axle to interior - never know when you might need something... wiring, etc

If it's an 87 it has the 2.5L, the 2.8 was stopped in 86. Get the running gear, the smaller engines usually had better gearing (4.10s or 4.56s.) New, that'd run you $400+ just in hardware. It won't have a D44 in a 4 cyl.

85xj4dr said:
Options

mud1059 said:
If it's an 87 it has the 2.5L, the 2.8 was stopped in 86. Get the running gear, the smaller engines usually had better gearing (4.10s or 4.56s.) New, that'd run you $400+ just in hardware. It won't have a D44 in a 4 cyl.

Options

X2. So either it's a 4cyl '87 or it's really an '86 /w the 2.8.

Well, its an 86 then. No D44, that was the first thing I looked for besides the skids and hooks. It has to roll to get to the scrap yard, so I think that means gearing is out.

85xj4dr said:

Yes, get both on the front and the one on the rear if you don't have a hitch.

There are several advantages of having both on the front other than just redundancy ;)

I can't think of anything I would want other than missing or damaged parts on your Jeep and the skids you listed. You might also want to pull the trackbar or steering for spares if you still have stock.

Michael

85xj4dr said:
Well, its an 86 then. No D44, that was the first thing I looked for besides the skids and hooks. It has to roll to get to the scrap yard, so I think that means gearing is out.

put your old axles in it that way you are getting rid of them at the same time.

85xj4dr said:

it dosent have to roll. they grab it with a bigass grapple. i have taken a few of them in just stripped. i will take the gears off your hands for you. even trade a set of 3.55 depending on the ratio of the others.

hotrod07 said:
it dosent have to roll. they grab it with a bigass grapple. i have taken a few of them in just stripped. i will take the gears off your hands for you. even trade a set of 3.55 depending on the ratio of the others.

Well his mom is hell bent on her taking it there, and I don't know why. I also don't know how shes getting it there. I'd really like to see if they're something lower than 3.73's, 4.11's maybe. I think I'm going to talk to her again about taking the whole thing tomorrow.

I'm not sure about the gearing, or if its disco. I'm pretty sure it is. If I get it, and the Axles 4.11, I"m swapping them out. If all that falls through, I'll probably put my old axles minus the shafts up on the for sale thread. And maybe some other parts. The gears I have right now are 3.73.

Thats if it all falls through and I get the Jeep.

85xj4dr said:
I'm not sure about the gearing, or if its disco. I'm pretty sure it is. If I get it, and the Axles 4.11, I"m swapping them out. If all that falls through, I'll probably put my old axles minus the shafts up on the for sale thread. And maybe some other parts. The gears I have right now are 3.73.

if you do indeede get thoes other gears, i will take thoes 3.73s off your hands

85xj4dr said:

if you do indeede get thoes other gears, i will take thoes 3.73s off your hands

mojojojo said:
i vote for a spare tie rod.

I was already planning on pulling that too. Although I do have the stock front skid and it protects the tie rod and steering linkage pretty well. Keeping in mind I have a three inch lift.

Can't hurt to have tons of spares though, right?

is the carberator still there? and if so could I get that?
but it has to be in great condition cuz my carberator that i have is crap and is goin to cast too much to fix. so I have been trying to find one, so if the carberator is still there I would love to have it

Last edited:
Back