• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tying vent lines together?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get ready for the wet stuff,I already have a snorkle so now I have to waterproof everything else.My question is will it be ok to have both axle vents,tranny,t-case and distributor vents all tree into one line?

You'll be fine venting all lines together. I would recomened routing them as high as possible under the hood with a 90 degree turn toward the ground; or better yet, vent them high up inside the cab. Just remember to use a rubber grommet where the lines pass through the sheetmetal.

I wouldn't run any together where the fluids are not compatible. In my experience they do blow a bit of fluid up the line.

Bronco said:
I wouldn't run any together where the fluids are not compatible. In my experience they do blow a bit of fluid up the line.

X2 Not common, but high heat or high RPM's can pump some fluid out the vent lines.
A simple end for the vent line is like mentioned, point the end down and then tie a piece of air filter foam on the end and soak it in gear oil. It may pass a little water, but I've never had it pass enough to matter much, never had any trouble doing it this way. If the foam gets mud caked, just replace it.
In my mud truck I took the rear windshield washer pump out of a Ford station wagon, pulled air from the cab and pumped air into my distributor, it pumped enough air to keep a positive pressure. I also sealed the distributor with RTV, as well as possible. It's hard to get a perfect seal on the distributor, in my experience.
Cut the bottom out of freezer bags, used a wad of plumbers putty at the ends and some cable ties, to keep the water out of the connectors. Which worked well and is easy enough to remove if necessary.
Drilled a tiny hole near the bottom of the pumpkins front and rear, and put a sheet metal screw in the hole (with a small plastic washer) to make it easy to check for water.
Don't forget about the charcoal canister and the fuel tank vent. I learned about that one the hard way on my Dodge.
Happy diving. :)

yea I was wondering if the fluids would be pushed up into the lines thats why I started this thread....good info.

I have all lines tee'd into one line that runs into the air box.Time will tell if the lube(s) will be drawn into the intake due to normal heat expansion and the airflow in the airbox.Any input here?

Different kind of driving here, sometimes extended periods of a hundred plus MPH. I've had the front diff spew before. It doesn't take much of an overfill and some heat to push some fluid out of the tranny vent.

Interesting idea to run the lines tot he air box. What side of the filter is it on? I wonder if the vacume in there will cause any problems?

I too am wondering what affect the air flow will do to the vent lines....

The bung is above the filter so it's on the "clean" side of the air box....Guess it doesn't matter that much since my air box is totally sealed.Maybe I'll grab the ole' lady's phone and snap some pics of what I'm doing to make this thread a little more interesting to read....

pics tommorrow.....

Last edited:
I was thinking there is presure drop throught the filter so you would be starting to develot vacume there. Will it tend to suck more fluid then normal up the tube. If there is no problem with it it would have quite the advantage in that, like you say the air is clean and if you have much water there you are done for the day anyway.

here is the 1/4" tee for the tranny and t-case lines

and the air box bung.Made out of a 1/4" cambell hausfield quick disconnect threaded into the airbox lid.

still need to run the 3/8 vent line from the distributor which will be teed into the main line that runs into the airbox and the front and rear axle vents,Silicone the dist cap and water proof some electrical connections.....I'll be ready to play submarine!!!

Last edited:
Back