• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap Questions, weird ones

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I am considering very heavily getting a 99 Cherokee to replace my plagued 93 Cherokee. Now some of you know that I just built one hell of a 4.6L Stroker, so this where my questions come from.

The Stroker is comprised of a 97 block, 01 intake manifold, 93 TB, 93 EFI, 93 Computer etc...

So the fact that the block is a 97, I know that it will physically fit, but I wanted to check with you guys if it will simply be a matter of using the 99 Cherokee EFI, PCM, etc on my 97 block that is installed in my 93 Cherokee. I know, kinda confusing. The 99 is complete, so I will have all the 99 parts that I need (I think). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also did 99's have a distributer, or those damn coil packs? If they had the stupid coil packs, what would need to be done to my Stroker to make it work with that (man I hope there are not coil packs on this 99)

Thanks Guys,

Todd

The electronics are different in the 99. So I'd just swap the blocks and leave the electronics alone on both vehicles. You will need leave the 99 throttle body with the 99 xj because the map sensor is different. (attacted to the tb, not to the firewall)

I can safely say that the 99 xjs are the best year for the xj in terms of stock performance, period. If you have a chance to get one I would. My reasoning??

-retains the distributor ignition system
-0630 cylinder head (flows as good as the original H.0. 7120 head, but doesn't crack like the latter 0331 heads)
-the new and improved intake manifold with the larger plenum and smooth bends
-the 99 xjs were the last ones to use the high pinion dana 30s, which are stronger than the later low pinions
-has all the NVH advancements
-updated interior, the overhead console/computer is great, it tells you about gas mileage, has a compass, and a thermometer (if it has that option)

Even though the 99s original engine will be swapped for your stroker, you old 93 will have a great engine.

1999 was a crazy transition year for the 4.0 and xj in general, many parts were changed. Even though I'm fairly confident that most 99's have the listed equipment, don 't quote me on it, because my 99 xj was one of the first of that model year to be built, (it was built in like june of 98) according to the placard on the door. Some of the later 99s might have other equipment.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with his question but is $500 too much to pay someone to swap out my 4.0 for another 4.0? I will be supplying the 4.0. So all they have to do is take the old one out and put the new used one in.
THANKS, Ty.

depends on the labor rate you're getting.
it's probably an all day job, even with the proper equipment.

Back