• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please read, No start, tried lots, searched

dj's 2000 xj

NAXJA Forum User
This is now my DD since my wife totaled her car and is driving our 2000 Sport to work. I have a work truck that can get me by, but it sucks. Thank you for looking.

Details. 1988 Stock 4.0 Auto 4x4 limited. Left me stranded other day after I shut it off. I hauled home and checked things.
What I get - Turn key, everything acts normal, turn to start and get no crank, I hear fuel pump, antenna goes up and radio comes on, fan works, gauges move. Turn to start, nothing. Antenna moves like normal, radio pauses, temp gauge moves all the way up and its like the starter has been stolen.

What I have done.

1. It will start and run if I use a screwdriver to jump terminals on starter with key on like normal. No issues running, just cant turn off unless I want to crawl under and jump again.

2. Jumper NSS at firewall harness gets me nowhere

3. New starter this morning

4. Dont see any wires that look lost

5. Wiggled the shifter, tried neutral start and nothing

I've had this happen several times and for a couple of different reasons.

First, how is the Crank Position Sensor? Every now and then mine won't turn over, so I take an axe-handle and follow the wires from the top back of the motor (on the driver's side) down to the top of the tranny. I bump the wires with the axe handle and it starts right up.

In the past, my Neutral Safety Switch was giving me problems. To fix this, I just turned the key and then slowly pulled the shifter back until it starts. Other times, I have to turn the key and really push the shifter forward to get it to engage.

These are both VERY common problems with XJ's. Give them a try, maybe they'll work.

Good luck!

The CPS should be good. I can run it with jumping the starter. I did fix the cps wires about 6 months ago however, they melted and shorted against the manifold. No problems since. Thanks.

if you're sure the wires you jumped in the NSS harness are correct, I'd look into a bad starter relay (big metal box directly in line from pos (+) battery cable. Try grounding the black with white tracer wire off the relay and see if it will start-- if yes, it's the NSS (or wires to it) and if no, I'd say starter relay (or wires to it from the ignition switch)

--Shorty

Yah - had a similar problem, but my 88 decided to go through starter relays like popcorn one summer. Ended up wiring in a Bosch DIN relay, and haven't had trouble since. One of these days, I need to write that up...

The idea of the thing is simple - the key signal will go to trip the Bosch relay, and the output of the relay will go to the starter solenoid lead. I left the OEM start relay in place (for now...) to handle power distribution duty.

Why did I put the DIN relay in? Because, at $40 (jobber) per each for OEM replacements, I got tired of getting new units rather quickly. I know they weren't defective - each one I got worked. For about a fortnight.

I jumped the wires by finding a thread here with a pic and instructions. I did the bottom 2 center pins in the harness. I will go try the starter relay thing in just a few minutes. :cheers:

Shorty said:
if you're sure the wires you jumped in the NSS harness are correct, I'd look into a bad starter relay (big metal box directly in line from pos (+) battery cable. Try grounding the black with white tracer wire off the relay and see if it will start-- if yes, it's the NSS (or wires to it) and if no, I'd say starter relay (or wires to it from the ignition switch)

--Shorty

I grounded the black w/white tracer and relay to the battery and got noting still. I am sure I had a good ground.

dj's 2000 xj said:
I grounded the black w/white tracer and relay to the battery and got noting still. I am sure I had a good ground.

If you can start the rig by turning the key to ON and jumping the starter, then the rest of the circuit is good.

Try this - clamp a multimeter on the solenoid trigger lead (the small one,) and watch while a helper turns the key to START. If you don't see +12VDC there (sounds like you should not,) then check your wiring diagrams to see which lead from the start relay goes to the solenoid (if you don't have wiring diagrams, I should have them on RENIXPower by now. Please let me know if I do not) and check for +12VDC at that lead, same conditions.

I still say it sounds rather like a start relay - but one last test would be to check the "trigger" of the start relay (from the ignition switch) for +12VDC - same conditions. If you don't get voltage from that lead, then the problem is upstream of the starter relay, and the next thing I'd look at would be the ignition switch.

All this is assuming, as you mentioned, that the NSS is good. Since you can start the rig with the key ON and jumping the solenoid trigger lead, we shall presume that it is.

OK. Nothing at the starter when keyed. Except the 12v constant. Cant really trace the wire back because they are all wrapped in plastic sleeve. Guessing its the relay? There are a lot of wires with rubber ends at the relay, would they be bad from anything? I have pics of the relay, doubt they give much detail though. Should I just replace it? Dont know which wires do what, can find grounds and power with my meter if need be. Jeeps rule ! :)
Thanks again
Relay004.jpg

Relay003.jpg

Relay002.jpg

Relay001.jpg

Can I bypass the relay and just hook a couple wires together? Is that a dum question? I imagine the relay is there for a reason. Thanks.

I did the volt meter check all over the relay, I got readings at all the terminals. About 6 months ago the ignition switch had a hang up in it for about 3 tries. I bought another 1 and never installed it, put it away. Now I have found it, I will change it and see if it works. Have to get the tools. Later.

D.J.

Those "rubber-ended" wires are the fusible links for power distribution - you'll probably have noted that there's also a cable to that screwpost that comes directly from the battery + terminal.

The relay is there in order to make for a shorter power path to the start motor solenoid, and to take the load (~10A or so, I think) off of the ignition switch - both make sense. You could probably bypass the relay, but it would kill the ignition switch rather more quickly (by adding that load to the START circuit.)

I do have wiring diagrams posted at RENIXPower (I just checked,) so you may want to download them and check through your wiring...

Jon, I dont know where the RENIXPower is. I have been on your site. Am I missing a link? Thanks.

Don't know if this helps. I had a similar problem with my 88 jeep cherokee... seems the factory alarm's starter cut off was not disengaging properly when the alarm shut off...my solution was to remove the cutoff relay from the starter harness.

OK. So far I have no idea whats going on. I do know this: The small lead from the starter traced back to the relay on the fender is green. I see where it connects with another wire in the plastic loom along the route. When I pull from the relay and send 12v through it I get the starter turning and can then drive the jeep. No more crawling underneath with a screwdriver. UNLESS this is going to be bad. I found a relay on ebay for under $20 so i am going to get it, if that deosnt work it is going to the shop down the road, Independent guy that is a gear head. He is super nice and does very good work.

I dont have an alarm system. I have done the backyard fix of banging on the relay to no avail. If nothing seems to cure, could I just wire in a momentary switch and have a push button start under the dash? I am not afraid of being a hoosier :) Thanks to all you guys!

This has got to be a friggin' joke...

I just reconnectd my '96 XJs overhead console (compass, temp, alarm receiver, interior map lights) yesterday. Blew my #9 fuse (interior lights, radio) when I crammed one of the wires. Fixed that, and it won't start. I've never had a keyfob for this Jeep, and just realized the alarm might be the problem...Wonder if it's going to be as simple as just disconnecting the alarm circuit board? I'll have to try that tomorrow or dig out my FSM CD again.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Brother, I wish this was a joke. I have to drive my 1 ton 454 dump truck whenever I go somewhere now (That is poor mileage). I have a limited without overhead console so I think I am safe. Good luck YUCCA!!!!!!!!!!! :skull2:

Yucca-Man said:
This has got to be a friggin' joke...

I just reconnectd my '96 XJs overhead console (compass, temp, alarm receiver, interior map lights) yesterday. Blew my #9 fuse (interior lights, radio) when I crammed one of the wires. Fixed that, and it won't start. I've never had a keyfob for this Jeep, and just realized the alarm might be the problem...Wonder if it's going to be as simple as just disconnecting the alarm circuit board? I'll have to try that tomorrow or dig out my FSM CD again.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back