• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent blower fan

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I had my blower fan stop working yesterday for around 6 hours, then it started working fine again. I could not get any power out of it while it was down (it was like it was on the lowest fan setting). It has happened once or twice in the past, but usually starts working again right away if I fiddle with the blower fan speeds for a bit. Once it started working, it was fine.
Is this a sign of my blower motor going out, or is it just an electrical gremlin that I have to track down?

Okay, thanks. I installed a new stereo a few weeks ago so may have bumped some wires in there a bit. It was cutting out intermittently before the new stereo as well, but maybe it was just coincidence.

I have seen the switch not work in anything but high. Is this the symptom you are having or is it cutting out in high as well? When mine stopped working in high and before I got a new switch relay it would start and stop for odd intervals, till one day I had nothing at all. I used a small propane torch to clear the window in the morning while the engine would warm up talk about a PITA.

what year?
vastly different HVAC controls pre and post 97.

my 87 has an isue with the connector at the HVAC controls. It's melted, so they don't make good contact. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd start there, it's on the right hand side of the old style HVAC controls. Installing a radio was the first time mine stopped working, so I'd bet you share the same problem.

Mines a 1990.

It would not work on any settings (high included), it was like the power to the fan cut out completely, then restarted all of a sudden. It works again now, but I really want to try and solve this over the weekend--the tempuratures are dropping below freezing in a hurry and I'd like working heat!!

I put a new(JY) switch in after mine went toast for the second time, I put relays in-line this time. works great, does'nt cut out, no more melted wires. It's also worth checking the resistor(pass. side, under glove box.) Hope this helps. Jim

In my opinion that's not a junk yard item, unless it's free.
Also why did you have to cut the wires to the radio? For a couple dollars they sell an adapter.

cjcargo said:
In my opinion that's not a junk yard item, unless it's free.
Also why did you have to cut the wires to the radio? For a couple dollars they sell an adapter.
I live in a small town, nowhere had them in stock. I also would rather just cut, solder and insulate rather than spending $15 bucks and waiting a week for it to get in stock.

Back