• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 on a ba-10?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i have a ba-10 tranny in an 87 comanche, it has the 231 and the front axle has the vaccum disconnect.
i am in the process of swapping over my non vaccum disco dana 30 from a 91 cherokee.
im parting out the cherokee, and its got an aw4 with a 242 on it.

my question is... will the 242 that i have from the cherokee bolt onto the ba-10 on the comanche?
or will the 231 from the comanche be ok with the non vaccum disco 30 from the cherokee?
thanks in advance
-Shomsky

You can use the 231 without the vac disco.

You can't bolt the NP242 to the BA-10/5 because the splines will be different (99% sure, some early AW4s were 21 spline like the BA-10/5, but only in 87 and 88 I think).

so i can use the 231 with the non-disconnect front and still be able to select 2wd and 4wd?

and thanks for the quick reply

Shomsky462 said:
so i can use the 231 with the non-disconnect front and still be able to select 2wd and 4wd?

and thanks for the quick reply

Correct - you will have to change the input gear for the NP242 to be able to use it.

What are you thinking of asking for the 23-sp 242? I've got an 88 that's converted to AX-15 that it would probably go in quite well...

Back