• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire sizes

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i want to do a 3 inch lift on my 88 xj. what size tires can i fit with this. some people have told me not to go bigger than 31's, but 31's don't seem that big to me especially for having a lift on. my budy has a stock blazer zr2 that came stock with 31's. if i can fit 32's would it be worth it or would i not even notice the difference between 31's and 32's? also what can my stock dana 35 handle? i would assume it could handle up to 33's but am not sure.
thanks guys

You can run 32's on 3" lift if you bumpstop properly and dont mind trimming your fenders a bit. However, you will probably need to regear to run 32's and very possibly 31's depending on what gear ratio you have. Also, I personally wouldnt put any money in a D35 since they are notoriously weak. Some people wheel the D35 without problems, but they are few and far between. My brother broke 2 shafts on his D35 with 30's and no lockers. Best bet would be to find a D44 out of a older xj or 8.25 29 spline out of a newer xj and spend the money building that. I know I see a few of them around here going for $200-$250 and they bolt right in.

Run 31's. It'll be a little sluggish. The D35 open will handle 31's.

It'll walk over stuff the ZR2 would never make though.:D

When you want gears, watch wrecking yards for 4cyl Cherokees and the classifieds. Patience will bring you what you want for cheap.

And last but NOT least. Wheel it and have fun. My first one was an '88 with 3" lift, 31' BFG Mt's, and axles from a 4 cyl. It was a blast!

well, its already a little sluggish but it'll do for now. yeah i want to do the exact set up you had on your 88 with the bfg mt's. are they any good? i won't switch out the axles any time soon though.
thanks for the input guys

For 31's I'd do BFG's or Truxus MT's. There has been a lot of talk about the Truxus MT's being very good. Depending on how often you wheel and what you wheel you could run BFG AT's. They are good on the snow and ice and also the rocks....also much better on pavement.

And to finish off, You could have found all of this info by searching the site and just reading what others have said.:thumbup:

sorry, i just seem to find that if i search one thing with the search option i get a bunch of threads and if i search something comletely different i get all the same threads coming up. like its not really searching... just kinda giving me a bunch of nothing. anyone else have that problem? anyways yeah, i'll be doing mostly winter driving with it because i live in Canada and the winters are brutal here. i do some wheeling too but only about %5 of my driving is done off road so tire wear is an issue. but i have heard that the bfg mt's have reasonable tire wear. anyways, thanks alot.

Back