• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit issues

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if you can buy side gears to fit the larger 33 spline shafts for a Detroit?

I already have one in my 44 and recently got some Alloy USA big spline axles.

Was thinking just replacing the side gears might be cheaper then buying a new locker.

Ask Lincoln. If he doesn't know, he can find out.

call her first.

if your interested i have a 33 spline ox locker for a dana44 i'll let go for $300 + ship. needs cable and cover if you want selectability though. as it sits no cover=open, with cover=spool.

DrMoab said:
Does anyone know if you can buy side gears to fit the larger 33 spline shafts for a Detroit?

I already have one in my 44 and recently got some Alloy USA big spline axles.

Was thinking just replacing the side gears might be cheaper then buying a new locker.
Was looking at doing this myself awhile back,yes they are available but can't remember part#'s.Try Randy's R/P.

Sean

My experience buying Detroit parts:

DSC02323.JPG

This little stunt required a new side gear, new clutch/HOR assembly, and new spring retainer.

Someone recommended I talk to Jack @ CTM, and he went out of his way to check with some of his personal contacts to see if anyone had them on a shelf somewhere. Called me back the next day with bad news, seemed that no one had them and I was looking at 6+ weeks until the next production run.

I also contacted a guy in PA who runs a small 4x4 shop who had helped me out in the past. I gave him the part numbers I was looking for, he got back to me two days later. He ended up finding me a side gear in Michigan, and the clutch/HOR and spring retainer in Tennessee. I had them all 3 days later, all brand new parts.

Side gear was $140, clutch was $150, retainer was $12. Mine was a Dana 60, but I wouldn't expect Dana 44 parts to be much less, if at all.

In looking through my Detroit parts catalog I can't find any listings for 33-spline D44 gears, and it looks like it may have been a part special to the Superior Super 44 kit (they designed the Detroit specially for that kit). It may be worth your time to talk to the guy who found my parts for me though...his name is Barry @ Truck Stuff and More, 814-357-8142.

Back