• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 tranny 93 tranny???

sandblz

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if i could but a automatic tranny out of a 93 cherokee in my 87 cherokee my trannys going out and i found one locally for 300$ with 163k on it.

watch the spline count on the output shaft, if your not getting the transfer case with it, I can't remember the year but around 91 or 92 the spline count changed to 23. On your 87 it would be 21 so the tranny wouldn't fit your transfer case.

the_bandit87 said:
watch the spline count on the output shaft, if your not getting the transfer case with it, I can't remember the year but around 91 or 92 the spline count changed to 23. On your 87 it would be 21 so the tranny wouldn't fit your transfer case.
yes, Renix AW4's are 21 spline, HO AW4s are 23 spline.
You can get the case that is attached tot he trans, or you can replace the input gear in your t-case.

Yup, watch the spline count. The 4th gear ratio changed from .70 to .75 when the spline count changed as well. Should connect up to the wiring harness and work just fine with your existing trans computer.

well luckly it comes with the transfer case, but i will probly change it cause mine is the np-242 and i like awd some times is it hard to change over the spline got any lings?? for help ?? is it hard

Last edited:
sandblz said:
well luckly it comes with the transfer case, but i will probly change it cause mine is the np-242 and i like awd some times is it hard to change over the spline got any lings?? for help ?? is it hard

Not difficult, a little intimidating if you havent worked on a gearbox before. Basically it's one step further than doing a typical SYE install.

You can find SYE install instructions at www.4xshafts.com

Back