• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Brand of Extended Brake Lines?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
After pulling the stock hoses and a set of YJ lines on my XJ, i've decided to either buy the SS lines from someone, or build a custom brake line set that I used on my friends F-150 before. I was wondering which was going to cost more. I've seen the rough country ones on e-bay for $69 but I want some decent lines and thought I'd ask and see what everyone on here is using.

RE lines are good quality.

I got some custom lines from [URL="http://www.earlsindy.com/]Earl's Indy[/URL], they are built for race cars, so they should be plenty durable on the Jeep. They're local to me, but they do ship.

i'd try out rough country

I also like longer stock rubber lines. Every brake line I've seen come apart on the trail was a braided steel line. They have no give, so if they get caught on something or if they get pulled slightly due to suspension setup they can come apart easier than a rubber line. I've never seen the point of going through the trouble to swap to braided lines unless the goal is better braking, in which case the steel lines hold the pressure slightly better than rubber lines. For most of us, that's not an issue.

S10 front brake lines are longer, and it's pretty easy to bend our front steel tube down a little and drill a new hole for mounting the brake line.

im running these:

RAY4538620 RAY4538621

Raymold part numbers - came from a mid 90's GM 1/2 ton IFS front...

pleanty long for my full width d44 at 5.5" lift after moving the hard line down, and had the right ends...

and they were 17.99, and I picked them up from the parts store...

KarlVP said:
What was wrong with the YJ lines?

I only have 3" of lift and while on the extend side they work good, when the wheel moves up it pulls them that way...... What I need is like the Chevy lines but i'm curious about how to get the metal bracket off w/o damaging the hose.

I'm running SS lines and have been happy with them and I was going for more brake pressure, I run the extended Goodridge SS lines for a YJ.

terryd said:
I only have 3" of lift and while on the extend side they work good, when the wheel moves up it pulls them that way...... What I need is like the Chevy lines but i'm curious about how to get the metal bracket off w/o damaging the hose.

I have those lines and here is what I did to remove the bracket. I took the long flat portion and tightened it down in my vise. Then I grabbed a pair of vise grips and clamped them on so that the lower jaw was on the open end. Then I just pushed upwards and it rolled open the bracket with no fuss.

And put me in the prefer rubber camp. I had a SSB line failure going down a hill off-road, wasn't a whole lot of fun.

terryd said:

Check this thread out. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70205

With a little prying with a screwdriver you can get them to here
Brakeline3maxed.jpg

Back