• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

--> YJ 4-bolt steering box Upgrade <-- WORTH IT?

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched.. and keep getting like 500 hits w/ no INFO?

I have a YJ steering box sitting in my garage taking up space... is it worth installing it? I believe their fixed (3:1) ratio and the XJ is variable?

Anyone done it? The jeep's on jack stands right now so I just wanted to see if it's worth messing w/...

Thanks,
Chris

TellicoReadyXJ said:
http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/xj4boltsteering.asp

TNT seems to think so. I'm either going to do this or a Durango box when mine craps out.

Since you already have the YJ box, go for it. If you decide not to, I'll take it :D

Yep I've seen TNT's upgrade but wanted to see if anyone had tried it before I waste the coin...

I may just give it a shot since the box is taking up so much shop space.... :confused1

I used the T&T 4 bolt kit and YJ box in my build and it is a much stronger mounting setup than stock. Driveability on road is about the same , I never wheeled with the stock box but the YJ box turns my 35s with no problems with a new PS pump.

another option is a box out of a grand wagoneer, its the same as a yj box, i got one in my xj and like it alot better than my stock box

JeepFreak21 said:
I am curious about this subject also. Does anybody know if the YJ box will have any affect on hydro assist options in the future? The T&T kit costs the same for 3 bolts or 4.
Thanks,
Billy

a friend of mine who i hang out with almost daily and wheel with quite regularly has a 93 YJ (and the matching YJ box. LOL) on 39's. he wheeled for 4 years on the stock pump and steering box, and then added hydro assist to it. i've driven it, and love how it works.

Yes, the four bolt box is worth installing if you can do it. Just search around and see how many of us have ripped steering boxs off the frame. It definitely would be nice to have a four bolt box. The three bolt box allows for some strange leverage that the four bolt won't.

Saginaw made them both ways, 3 and 4 bolt, with everything else being the same, based on the application.

I put a YJ box with just 3 bolt holes. I had to space it a little with some washers but it works fine. Seems to have more oomph to turn the 35's.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. 3 of the 4 lined up for me.

If you have the YJ box laying around. Change it, you won't regret it.

JeepFreak21 said:
I emailed T&T, but can anybody confirm that a 3 bolt XJ box would bolt up to their 4 bolt YJ box plate (LiNK)? If so, I'll order the 4 bolt plate to give myself the option of upgrading later.
Thanks,
Billy

EDIT: Based on the post above mine, it sounds pretty good.

yes it will work. i have the T&T bumper with the 4-bolt upgrade, and am still running the 3-bolt XJ box. ................for now

I thought about upgrading but instead, I plated the outside of the frame with 1/8 steel and made a steering gear box brace. That combined with hydro assist, I will never have a problem losing a gear box.

How about a steering box from a mid 90's Dodge 1/2 ton truck? I've got one of those laying in my garage from a truck I turned into a trailer. :). I'm sure that would be all custom fab and some new sleeved holes in the frame though. My stock box is toast after a few years locked with 33's in front.

xj92 said:
How about a steering box from a mid 90's Dodge 1/2 ton truck? I've got one of those laying in my garage from a truck I turned into a trailer. :). I'm sure that would be all custom fab and some new sleeved holes in the frame though. My stock box is toast after a few years locked with 33's in front.

i posted something similar a while back. maybe this will help you, and if you try it out, let us know how you like it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=920055&highlight=steering+box*

Back