• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Getting Hot....suggestions?

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I need some suggestions/input.

My tranny is getting too hot for my liking. I have an aux. trans cooler installed along with a temp gauge and im getting constant temps of around 180-220* on the highway. Around town its not uncommon for the temp to go higher than 260*...It coud possibly be getting even higher, but my gauge will only read (HI) at temps about 260*. I've had the fluid and filter changed earlier in the summer at the local transmission shop and didnt have any problems with it after then. Towards the end of summer, I had some fluid leaking out of the breather line...I assumed it was just overfilled some, so after making sure the fluid level was good I havnt had any problems with the fluid leaking.

I have the cooler setup so the fluid runs through the rad then through the cooler, then back to the transmission. The temperature sending unit is in the hard line near the starter. I know the fact that im running stock gears and 33"s isnt helping with the cooling issure, but I figured on the highway the temps should come down some.

My question is what could be causing things to get so hot? I have read about the difference between the ATF+4 and Dex/Mec III in the AW4, but if they re-filled the tranny with ATF, could this be causing the temps to be so high? I mean, if thats the temp it runs at, and isnt going to die, then im okay with that...but I really dont want to smoke my trans because the fluid is getting too hot. I searched through the various other posts about cooling an AW4, but really couldnt find anything that worked. So any suggestions/help?? Thanks!

Well, I'll let others chime in. If anything your trans should be cooler than normal, based on how you have the aux. cooler routed (after the radiator trans cooler)

Back