• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brighter Gauge Illumination?

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Could I swap out the stock 168 bulbs for some 2825's for my gauge lights? It seems that the 168's are rated at 3 candlelight power and the 2825's are rated at 5. Could i swap the bulbs? They look to have the same base. Would the heat be too great for the cluster with the brighter bulbs?

Thanks.

I think it would get to hot if you do alot of night driving. When I drive at night for more than a hour I can feel the heat radating from the cluster because of the lights.

Im not looking for led's sorry. But i can also feel heat from my stock bulbs, but its not much. I guess it could get bad if they were on alot. If it is not sunny, i run with my parking lights and fog lights, so they are on about 7 times out of ten while im driving.

And since there are 12 bulbs that illuminate vs. the 5 for the chrysler cluster, it could generate too much heat heat.

Ill still think it over though. Thanks for the help.

Try gojeeps white gauge conversion, well worth it and you can still see even if the lights are dimmed. I think total cost was $36 and I had it printed on adhesive backed shiny vinyl.

how about all the other lights in the jeep? are they also dim.

dash lights in my 89 are bright. i would say it has more to do with the wiring being corroded or lack of battery power. just by swapping out the stock battery cables and cleaning the connections, all the lights on mine got much brighter.

My Renix cluster has 9 illumination bulbs. I replaced them with the LUXEON L.E.D.'s about 6 months ago.
DSC00842.gif

WOW!!!
what a difference those leds make!!,I'm going to quit comming here to naxja,lol,another mod to spend money on....do you have a part number handy?

x2 on checking your fuse to see if it gets hot due to corrosion/resistance

I have an SHO that has those EL gauges. I'll have to admit that although better looking than stock, they have a tendency to fatigue my eyes during long night drives.

The led's have a soft crisp white light that doesn't require alot of power.
I also painted the backside of the gauge trim piece flat white to aid in the illumination. At the time of this writing I paid $5/per LED x 9 for the renix cluster. Pricey yes, but it's only money right?

I had many bulbs burnt out in my cluster when I bought my Jeep. About 11 total. That included some of the switches and stuff, but mostly behind the gauges.

I swapped out all of the bulbs, not putting caps on the new bulbs. I'm not sure I like the idea of putting rubber caps on the lightbulbs. Anyway my cluster is bright, and white. Maybe the blue tint from the caps was nice, but, you might want to go this route. I can't say if it's any brighter or not than if all of the bulbs had blue caps (well, I'm sure it is) considering most of my gauge bulbs were burnt out when I replaced them all.

The LED looks good, though. They are just the bulbs, right? I remember seeing a strip of colored lights. I think it was on gojeep's website....

But those LED's just fit in the standard bulb sockets?

I picked up a set of the glow gauges. I liked the white face, I like them.The colour ranges from blue to green and you can retain the brightness control. You could get them off the bay for less than replacing with led's.

Thanks guys, but I was just looking for 2825 bulb you can but at autozoo, a direct swap for the stock 168's so my gauges would be brighter at night. 100% stock look, just brighter. They are already bright, i just cant have them bright enough.

If I go thru with the 2825 swap, Ill post before and after pics.

Also, another trick is to paint the back of the reflective panel with Chrome paint. I have also covered the back of other vehicles with foil.. Anything more reflective than the stock set up will help.

Any type if filament bulb will dim with age. If your 168 bulbs are old replacing with new 168's should be some brighter. I'm no expert but I wouldn't risk melting something for just a little more light.:fuse:

Back