• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

searched! squealing noise +n00b questions

copper_blue

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a few searches and haven't found quite what is happening in my 99 XJ Sport..

I know I have the bad blower motor resistor cos my fan only works on 4, but when if I start it with the heater and the blower on, I get a squeal that goes away if I turn off the blower.sometimes I have to turn the heater/AC switch off as well..

I've sprayed belt dressing on the front belt and it has good tension. So I'm confused about what it could be..does the AC compressor have anything to do with the blower noise??

Also, I've now know I have what appears to be a rear seal leak, that I will tackle soon, but reading over at BITOG I should be using Maxlife to stem the flow, which doesn't even hit the ground.. However, the PO said he used full synthetic and I've already changed to the deeply dicounted at AAP QPower Torque 10w-30 and the oversized Motorcraft filter.
Am I going to die?

Should I drain and refill with Maxlife?? The engine has around 85K on it..

Last but not least, my XJ loves Shell V-power and hates Marathon gas..just my $.02

about the squealig noise, allow me to commento on something that happened with my 1990 xj, it had a squealing noise too
it will quiet down after tightening the belt

until 2 days ago

it started squealing and then I heard something fall as a result I
lost my power steering, and the temperature started climbing fast
initially I though the belt snapped

when I was able to stop and look at the engine
the harmonic damper was missing the pulley part :shocked:
only the hub was still attached to the crankshaft

Turns out the pulley is held on the hub by a rubber ring,
with time the rubber dries up and the pulley start slipping
over the rubber/hub making the squealing noise

I installed a new harmonic damper and my rig is running again