• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who uses rotella?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
What do you think of it?The only grade I see around local is 15w40.Do they make any other grades?
Will the 15w40 be too thick for the up comming Ohio winter?:peace:

After many searches on oil that is what I have gone to. I haven't seen or felt any ill effects as of yet.

I used Mobil 1 since the day I took my XJ off the lot (2000). When it hit 120K miles, I decided to up the oil weight. Shell Rotella was the only synthetic I could find locally that was close to the 10-30 Mobil. So I've been using the 15-40 Shell for 6 oil changes now and like it. No problems last winter.

i use delo 15-40 in my 89 without any problems in the winter. i have also run 20-50 in the winter without problem, that i know of. 225k miles and still going strong.

I would recommend 10-30 for winter; too high a viscosity and any ZDDP benefits offered by the Diesel oil will be rendered completely useless anyway when your bearings are starved for oil when it turns to molasses in the morning. Summertime I'd say go for it.

darjevon said:
I would recommend 10-30 for winter; too high a viscosity and any ZDDP benefits offered by the Diesel oil will be rendered completely useless anyway when your bearings are starved for oil when it turns to molasses in the morning. Summertime I'd say go for it.

Assuming it's the XJ in his profile, it's an '89. The owners manual for 1988 and 1989 recommend 10W-40 and 20W-50, so I don't think 15W-40 will be too thick. Been running it in mine since I got her and have noticed cleaner oil each change.

--Shorty

Thanks for the info - I had no idea they changed the recommended oil. I wonder why...

P.S. generally speaking cleaner oil out means more crap left in... I thought diesel oil had high detergents? Was the change immediate, or gradual?

sorry to pepper you with questions... you might have just sold me to rotella.

Joe

Cleaner each time due to cleaning more poop out the previous time. I opened the valve cover soon after I got the Jeep to correct a leak and realized it had enough gunk built up to almost cover the rocker arms! I'm guessing 150000 miles with limited oil changes and short trips. I buttoned it back up and planned a clean up in the future, added one quart of trans. fluid and ran for a heat cycle, changed oil to Rotella and ran it for a thousand miles. When I got around to oppening it up to clean it out, I found half the crud had dissolved. I've been using Rotella since and have seen each oil change looks even cleaner than the last. Along with that, the gunk in the valve cover appears to be about gone as well!

As for cleaner oil meaning more poop left in, once I installed a thermostat (didn't have one when I got it) it started reaching opperating temps and running extremely clean. I don't believe there is too much crud being left behind:roll:

--Shorty

darjevon said:
Thanks for the info - I had no idea they changed the recommended oil. I wonder why...

P.S. generally speaking cleaner oil out means more crap left in... I thought diesel oil had high detergents? Was the change immediate, or gradual?

sorry to pepper you with questions... you might have just sold me to rotella.

Joe
gas mileage.
my 87 loves thicker oil, anything less than a 40W and the lifters make noises.
it's been on 15-40 rotella for the better part of a year now.
I'll likely swithc the wifes junk over too.

FYI it is not recommended to run CI,CJ, or any of the other "diesel oils" in a gasoline engine. The oil companies spend quite a bit of money and time making formulas for gasoline engines and diesel engines, and the operating environments of both require different additives. Just a little heads up.

cbtu0914 said:
FYI it is not recommended to run CI,CJ, or any of the other "diesel oils" in a gasoline engine. The oil companies spend quite a bit of money and time making formulas for gasoline engines and diesel engines, and the operating environments of both require different additives. Just a little heads up.

Well tell the oil companies to put ZDDP back into gasoline engine oils so we dont have to worry about cam shafts going flat... You will find that is why a majority of XJ owners have switched to the Diesel oils... I know im not going back to regular oils untill then.. Oh and Im running the Delo 400 for now...

cbtu0914 said:

Been using Rotella 15-40 for years. I now have over 300,000 miles on my waggy xj. To hell with the oil companys :bs: . I am staying with what works.

you use the 15w40 year round?

I have mobil clean 5000 in there now and the valve train is noticeably louder than what it was with castrol gtx I used to run.....

outlander said:
you use the 15w40 year round?

I have mobil clean 5000 in there now and the valve train is noticeably louder than what it was with castrol gtx I used to run.....
it wasn't rotella, but i ran 15 40 last winter, it didn't seem to be a problem.
The oil pressure was a bit high on a cold start, somewhere around 70 pounds.
other than that it didn't seem to matter much.

Just to be clear, the 15w40 Rotella you are refering to is the same stuff that I run in my diesel? I never looked to see if there was another type. That would make my oil buying very easy.:laugh3:

Goten over 200,000 on many engines over the years (I'M old) on good old 10-30/40 (any name brand). So have many others I know. Most have given up on additive, special oil and Syn Oil as NOT helping. Just change the stuff when needed and your fine.
PS: I do use syn oil when towing hot, heavy and long. But that's another story.

I will be switching over to the 15w40 Rotella next spring. I'm running 10w30 Valvoline and noticed that since the colder temps are starting and the oil is thickening up, my lifter noise is pretty much gone. I think the thicker oil will help them "pump up" even when the tempuratures get hot in the summer. I also like the added ZDDP and detergents in a diesel oil.

Back