• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"cheaper" selectable front locker alt.

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think about this:

I have a line on a cheap vaccum dissconnect dana 30 with oem 4.10s(which i was getting ready to move to in my Dana30) to go into my 92. the reason im thinking about this is as an alternative to a selectable front locker heres how i figured it:

Geared dana 30(vac.dis.): $200.00
Posi Lok(used): ~$100.00
No Slip ~300.00

Total: $600.00(could be cheaper if i went with lockright)

or

4.10s for my non vac. dis. Dana 30 ~ $100.00
ARB (found a used one) ~ $300.00
Compressor ~ $200.00
Install ~ $250.00

Total: $850.00(could be signifigantly more if i went with new arb)

Is there any reason why the vac-dissconnect d30 WON'T work in my 92 XJ?

thanks

If you really want a cheap alternative to a selectable locker, just weld up the spider gears, and use the posi-lock. A lincoln-locked front won't affect you on the road in a disconnect axle. And the vac-disconnect D30 will work in your 92 provided that you use a posi-lock, or similar mechanical engagement method.

If you disco the passenger side with an automatic locker, the drivers side will still be powered under power in four wheel drive. The locker will act like the pass. side tire is off the ground. So then you'll have 3 wheel drive.

There is a possibility I'm wrong about this....although slim.

just using the disco and welding the spiders has been done but i would suggest you go the arb route. being able to turn on/off your locker is a great help in manuverability. a person i was wheelin with broke his driverside front shaft and wheeled the rest in 3 wheel the truck was constantly trying to piviot around that dead tire.

Using the disco and going lockrite/welding will still leave you with 260 ujoints that will probably break really soon. You can get YJ shafts with 297 ujoints, but your still going to have issues down the road.

Go the ARB route, or put in a lockrite and get a 2-lo. Put a little money aside and get some spicer or alloy shafts and new 760's. You will be happier in the long run, and won't have the experiance of wishing you spent the extra money as you try and beg spare shafts off of someone on the trail. :)

cal said:
Using the disco and going lockrite/welding will still leave you with 260 ujoints that will probably break really soon. You can get YJ shafts with 297 ujoints, but your still going to have issues down the road.

Go the ARB route, or put in a lockrite and get a 2-lo. Put a little money aside and get some spicer or alloy shafts and new 760's. You will be happier in the long run, and won't have the experiance of wishing you spent the extra money as you try and beg spare shafts off of someone on the trail. :)

well the deal fell thru on the vac dis. d30 so im just going to keep what i've got and be patient.

i did the lincoln/posi-locker "upgrade" in my '96 using a vac-disco axle i got off of an '87. the only problems ive had are the leaky seals from the older axle and the smaller ujoints. first trip to uwharrie, i sheared one in half. i was lucky it was only one... total cost from beginning the swap to now is about $175

xtrm4x4wanab said:
i did the lincoln/posi-locker "upgrade" in my '96 using a vac-disco axle i got off of an '87. the only problems ive had are the leaky seals from the older axle and the smaller ujoints. first trip to uwharrie, i sheared one in half. i was lucky it was only one... total cost from beginning the swap to now is about $175
yeah but you guys wheel like sissys ;)
You old enough to become a member yet?

Back