• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock pinion/caster relationship

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what the stock pinion/caster angle relationship is on a LP D30? I'm trying to find a way to measure my caster angle at home using an angle finder. The pinion angle is easy enough to measure, so I figured that if I know the relationship between the two I can calculate my caster if I know the pinion angle.

Taking a rough guess I recall the last time I had an alignment done, my caster measured around 6 degrees. The pinion angle I measured at 5 degrees, the one being positive and the other negative, thus the total difference being 11 degrees - does this sound about right?

Go Jeep has them on his site,but IIRC its:
LP=11*
HP=9*
Ive got one of each and those are the numbers Ive always used.

Is it that easy? Great! If I measure close to 6 that way I'll know it's right.

I want to make myself some new control arms, but at the same time I want to move my axle forward enough to clear 33s at the rear of the wheel well and trim the front bumper end caps. The Yuccaman control arm length table will be my starting point. I'll then make the lower control arms to be long enough to position the wheel correctly in the wheel well and then I'd like to be able to measure the caster and pinion to find a happy medium when doing the uppers.

I intend doing this as quick and simple way to get me up and running with the 33s and then later I'll spend more time and effort in building proper flexing and adjustable control arms. For the initial ones I'll re-use the stock rubber bushings to keep things simple.

RCP Phx said:
Go Jeep has them on his site,but IIRC its:
LP=11*
HP=9*
Ive got one of each and those are the numbers Ive always used.

I had a quick look on the Go Jeep site and the setting they use for the LP is 12 degrees. The HP is correct at 9. Thanks!

Back