• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

South Eastern Utah

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I'm considering a trip to Utah next year, combining it with NAXJA's FF-08.

Thinking of some type of a loop which will take me through the most scenic parts of the area, primative camping only. I need to grab some literature on the area, but from what i'v seen i'm thinking along these lines.

Head into Moab to stock up supplies. Then head North into Arches, San Rafael Swell, down through Canyonlands (want to run White Rim). Then probably a few days with the NAXJA crew wheeling, afterwords south to Monument Valley. Then Eastbound for home.

I know alot of you guys are very familiar with this area and i hope ya'll can give me some guidance as to the most scenic routes i should be considering. As well as designated camping along those routes.

From what i have read i'll need a guide for Monument Valley?

Monument Valley is on the Navajo nation and they won't let white guys anywhere on their land without a guide.

You could spend all the time you have in the San Rafel swell and never see it all. It's worth spending a few days there though. Also the area around Escalante is well worth spending some time.

It's been 8+ years but when I went to Monument Valley there was a well maintained dirt loop that you could drive self guided.
It took you around the more visible and common features.
I recall signs and/or a hand out reminding you to drive slow to keep the dust down.
Not to photograph the people and to respect thier privacy along the route.
And not to take any side roads without the services of a guide.

One view from the outer reaches of the loop.

As for the San Rafel Swell, My favorites so far and with easy/interesting access from I-70 are shown and described at the link below,
see comments under the photos for more info...

DrMoab said:
Monument Valley is on the Navajo nation and they won't let white guys anywhere on their land without a guide.
That is true of Monument Valley other than the scenic loop drive and Canyon de Chelly National Monument, you can explore the rest of the Navajo Nation without being disturbed. Just keep in mind that the Navajo are a very solitary people who live in a dispersed manner. Many of the little dirt tracks head to isolated hogans or sheep camps that may or may not be occupied. Be respectful of the land as it is their home. You also have a lot less impact if you travel with a single vehicle. I haven't camped on Navajo land and don't plan to but a great place to stay is at Goulding's Lodge, outside Monument Valley. It is a good base camp for exploring the area and has facilities from tent camping to motel rooms with awesome views... from the comfort of one of those rooms:

orig.jpg

Other places to explore nearby, Lake Powell/San Juan River at Copper Canyon/Nokai Canyon:
orig.jpg

Navajo Mountain
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Can you spot Rainbow Bridge?
orig.jpg

If you haven't already read the posts, do a search for "Loose Screws Tour". Jared, Ranger Rick and I have done them on the way to Fall Fling the past couple of years and seen some cool stuff. What you are planning sounds exactly like a Loose Screws tour! A map of the route from 2005:
orig.jpg

Nice pics guys, and thanks for the info so far.

I'm not worried about seeing everything in one given area this trip, i'm sure i'll be out that way several more times in the future. I do want to experience a quick tour of more than one area however. I dont mind spending all day exploring and setting camp in a different area each night.

There are other places i want to visit and i know i wont have the time this trip. IE, Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly after your pics Alex.

When i get some time i'll need to check on the legality's of camping along some of these routes. I plan to have an RTT for this trip, early morning departures will be the norm.

Back