• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dented rim?

Easy, jack it up and freespin the suspect wheel. if it looks out of round, it probably is.

When I get up to 45mph to bout 60 mph, the whole Jeep starts shaking. It is stock but I still had the driveshaft balanced. The tire have been balanced and rebalanced. This is why I am suspecting a bent rim. I don't know what tire it may be coming from or if its something else. Oh yeah, motor and tranny mounts are fine. Any ideas?

well unless the guy's that did your balance are idiots they should have caught the bent rim,.. check front drive shaft,and axle u joints,they are prone to vibes.

98XJeep said:
well unless the guy's that did your balance are idiots they should have caught the bent rim,.. check front drive shaft,and axle u joints,they are prone to vibes.
I was the one who rebalanced the tires, I made sure they were perfect. The rims seemed fine, they didn't wobble while on the machine. The u joints on the rear driveshaft are fine, they were checked out when it was balanced. If it were the front driveshaft wouldn't it only happen while in 4wd?

4x4fish said:
I was the one who rebalanced the tires, I made sure they were perfect. The rims seemed fine, they didn't wobble while on the machine. The u joints on the rear driveshaft are fine, they were checked out when it was balanced. If it were the front driveshaft wouldn't it only happen while in 4wd?

I think they meant check the ujoints on the front axle, they went bad on my Dads stocker and cause some wobble.

Take the front driveshaft out & see if it goes away. pretty easy to do.

it does spin,because the front wheels are spinning it . take it out and drive it ,it will not hurt anything, some guys do it to save a few mpg's.

4x4fish said:
Can you drive without the frontdriveshaft in?I thought someone said it spins while in 2wd.

BY taking the frt d/s out you can better isolate the prob. it itgoes away, it's in the front, if it stay's it's in the back.

4x4fish said:
How do I know if I am driving on a dented rim? What are the exact symptoms?

I would think that the primary symptom of a dented rim would be a dent...on the rim.

Between 45-60 wobble/vibe still sounds like a balance issue. If you were driving on a bent rim it would display the wobble/vibe all the time, same with an out of round tire. It may get worse with speed but it would not go away.

I had my wheels balanced 5 times before they got it right and every guy before the last swore it was perfect. After the 5th time the wobble went away and it has been gone, at any speed, ever since.

Another suspect unless you can find play in the axle u-joints would be a hub unit getting ready to go. But it would seem that that would be after a certain speed and would not go away after 60, just get worse.

Also check all your TRE's for side to side play. Then check ball joints for play. Trac bar?

Just grasping here, like always.

Back