• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric BS

sWissfoo

NAXJA Forum User
i gutted my jeep. i wanted to take out what i dont need in order to prevent further electrical problems. i have a 97 4 door country. my dash lights up but none of the gauges ingage once i turn the engine over, someone told me that i have a draw on the ignition, also my battery keeps getting drained. i just want to know how to fix it myself.
STP61943.jpg

wtf? gauge light up but no worky is straight forward, pull cluster and clean contacts replace. parasitic drain, a bit more complicated to locate. id recommend not jumping into destroying evaporator box and all the dash to fix it though. good luck with the rebuild.

I dont know if it will help or not but my 98 will do the same thing if the ign. switch gets turned back too far after cranking, not far enough to turn off the engine but it will make the cluster go dead.

BTW is that going to be trail only or dd? just curious

Dude check your fuses. I know it's frustrating, but that really wasn't necessary. When I say your fuses, I mean ALL off them. Inside the panel, under the hood, all the relays, maxi-fuses, any aftermarket cd players and such. A blown fuse can cause havoc. Another thing that probably isn't an issue, but just throwing it out there... Make sure you have the correct bulbs in the correct sockets. If you use a 194 instead of a 638 or whatever in your blinkers it causes a mess. But like everyone said, good luck with the rebuild...

i assume most of you posting have never taken out a dash. its really not that hard to do, or to put back in. its easy to sit in the stands and play coach. he hasnt destroyed his jeep - unless he doesnt remember how to put it back together. :D

Is that a hamster wheel to the right behind that silver box sticking out?

Also wondered why my clock would stop dead sometimes... damn rodent got lazy

Holy f'ing s***.

The '97-up dash isn't too horrible to take apart, but still - can we say, "swatting flies with an H-bomb"?

At least you're in good shape to replace the A/C evaporator... :rolleyes:

Kinda looks like the green wire with the white stripe under the hamster wheel is bare at one point . Looks to be your problem . :eyes:

I had that ground out on me once , but I just taped it to the roof of the XJ and wrapped tinfoil around my brake drums . It seemed to have fixed it , so you are on the right path for sure . :thumbup:

And I found out the purple wires that come from forward of where I sit ... they don 't do shit , so you can cut those out before they cause you a problem . :repair:

Just my .02 cents .
I need another beer , though . :cheers:

Looks like you gother under control , man , can't wait to see how she turns out ...er on . :scared:

Steve_Moore said:
Kinda looks like the green wire with the white stripe under the hamster wheel is bare at one point . Looks to be your problem . :eyes:

I had that ground out on me once , but I just taped it to the roof of the XJ and wrapped tinfoil around my brake drums . It seemed to have fixed it , so you are on the right path for sure . :thumbup:

Don't forget to cap off your blinker fluid resivoir... its under there somewhere.

And I found out the purple wires that come from forward of where I sit ... they don 't do shit , so you can cut those out before they cause you a problem . :repair:

Just my .02 cents .
I need another beer , though . :cheers:

Looks like you gother under control , man , can't wait to see how she turns out ...er on . :scared:

GrimmJeeper said:
i assume most of you posting have never taken out a dash. its really not that hard to do, or to put back in. its easy to sit in the stands and play coach. he hasnt destroyed his jeep - unless he doesnt remember how to put it back together. :D
That is incorrect. I have taken out and put in 3 97+ dashes. What amazes me is that he broke loose all the clips that retain the wiring harness to the dash panel itself. That wiring is going to be a huge clusterheck getting back in. He also destroyed the HVAC box. Although I'm sitting on the stands, I'm not clueless.

hehehe... clusterheck... although I too am not clueless, and have taken apart quite a few dashes. Show me baggies with labelled bolts and screws and I'll feel better

Back