• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bondo removal!!!!!!

AZRockRunner

Nobody
Awhile back I had a thread called Bondo is evil!!!! Well I was looking for ways to easily remove it and didnt come across any steller options.
So, I was surfing the hot rod sites and ran across a very unique way to remove Bondo and thought I would share it here.

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a small torch and heat it up, it starts to bubble up and then you can use a scraper to scrape it off. it comes off like butter.

Sometimes things are so simple.

So, just a FYI, if you run across a thick patch of bondo, and you want to remove it, burn it off.

Lata

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I had some bondo on my gas tank I needed to get off. :roflmao:

Does it thicken up again after cooling off?

The problem with that is that heat is also a very good way to warp the hell out of whatever panel is under the mud. You're much better cutting it off with a grinding disc. Wear a respirator.

it might warp the metal and it might not. I guess you would have to be careful on the panel. I am not trying to get perfect as it is my trail rig, but the bondo was cracking and look awful so I am removing it, pounding the dent out and doing my usual rustolium paint job with a roller.

AZRockRunner said:
it might warp the metal and it might not.

So my gas tank might explode.....but it might not?

:D

Depends on what year Pinto you have

you need to be carefull Bondo is extremely flamable without warning it can start to bubble then just blow .

The best way to remove bondo is with a large flexible grinding disc.
Sean

How do you know?

woodbutcher said:
you need to be carefull Bondo is extremely flamable without warning it can start to bubble then just blow .

The best way to remove bondo is with a large flexible grinding disc.
Sean

this is true, you can do something with the hardner, if you shoot it, it will explode. Can't find the write up for it though lol

Why not heat up the bent metal from the back side, seem to remember reading a story in Mopar Collectors Guide where somebody was have a raceshop weld tubs into a Road Runner and didn't realize there was bondo in the quarters (how you miss that if you're in the inside of the car's trunk, I'll never know....) Seems that once he started making the sheetmetal hot there were suddenly these loud popping sounds, gues the bondo was popping out of the dent with a healthy force.

I removed a large patch of bondo about 6x12 and nearly 3/4" thick in the center with a coarse knotted wire wheel-wearing a respirator of course. Made a huge mess but worked quick. Usually if someone throws a lot of bondo on they haven't done a good enough repair underneath. So I could see heating it up working well since the metal underneath is either probably non-existent or total junk anyways.

Back