• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dry Driveshaft U-Joint Question.

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the original driveshaft u-joint with a new one because the old one was way gone and had excessive play in it. I replaced it, and forgot that the new one has a zerk on it, thus i never remembered to grease it up when i grease my suspension. Now i am hearing a little clunking back there while coasting, but its not terrible, and when i am in park, i can rock the truck back and forth and there is the slightest amount of play in it.

Since i ran it dry of grease, are the needle bearings toast? Will i need a new u-joint again? Or just need to grease it up?

Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for any help!

When you replace it, clean the cheap grease out of the cross and replace it with favorite grease of choice. I started using Synthetic.

before you replace i would atleast grease it and see if the clunk goes away. there will be some play in the drivetrain when you rock back and forth

Back